Trolling education - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By cody&ryand
  • 2 Post By panhandlephinsphan

Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Trolling education

I have outfitted my rods and reels with monofilament backing And braid on top for bottom fishing and bay fishing.

Now, I realize I don’t have a set up for trolling, as everyone recommends monofilament for the stretch. If I use a along enough leader can I get away with using my current set ups.
Wolfithius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Trigger

You can troll braids just fine. Old myth and a lot of people are doing it now because if your trolling diving baits it’s actually more effective.
O-SEA-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-SEA-D View Post
You can troll braids just fine. Old myth and a lot of people are doing it now because if your trolling diving baits its actually more effective.
I am going to disagree trolling with braid will cause alot of pulled hooks because of the very little stretch it has . Will it work yes will I ever troll with straight braid no. Not to mention mono has alot more abrasion resistance.
amarcafina and MrFish like this.
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

If you’re worried about pulling hooks then can’t you compensate for that with less drag? You can always throw on a wind on leader to add more cushion and go mono-braid-mono.

I follow the school of thought with most things, but in the back of my mind I always think of the old timers like Zane gray using POS reels and line and lures that would get laughed at these days and they still managed to catch fish.
OutsmartedAgain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
White Marlin

Yes you could but that could also cause other issues but everything would be relative to what you are targeting
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I'm currently running braid on my trolling gear with a 25 yards mono topshot and relatively short leaders.

Angler 2600

Last edited by fishen; 04-19-2019 at 07:25 AM.
fishen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 AM   #7
Snapper

My opinion (and that is all it is- my opinion) is that you need some give or stretch. However you achieve that is up to you. one year I ran an all braid setup except for the 12 mono leader and pulled hooks. A LOT of pulled hooks. But I also had poorly paired my reels and the poles they were on. My whole setup had no give except for drag adjustment. It worked horribly for me. The next year I went to mono, properly matched my poles and reels, and had zero pulled hooks that I can remember.

Maybe try 100 yards of mono top shot? Run your drag low on your reels? There are a ton of options to get some give into your setup. I would probably go with a mono top shot and see how that goes.

Hope that helps.
panhandlephinsphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in