Sonar images - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree7Likes
Unread 05-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Default Sonar images

What am I seeing here? Trolling motor was in anchor mode I think. Green lines is noise from the troller running which has been addressed with addition of another battery.

Sonar images-shallow-hybrid-2-png

Sonar images-shallow-hybrid-png
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Grouper

Fish moving up and down in the water column - likely you had a little current - fish swiming at the same speed throught the water as the trolling motor was moving you boat .. and fish guilding up and down but staying in your transducer cone
kanaka likes this.
Mullethead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Thanks. So in theory, if I reversed course over the same spot, I 'll see the "arches"?
Unless they followed the boat again.

Then there's this. I see the structure but the green/yellow/red fuzz, fish or stuff growing off the structure?

Sonar images-lib-3-copy-jpg
jlw1972 likes this.

Last edited by kanaka; 05-22-2019 at 07:05 PM.
kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Your getting a stretched picture because your screen speed is to high. When the trolling motor is in the water, your screen speed should be on 1. Youíll get better image. Rule of thumb is, always match screen speed to vessel speed. Or close.
kanaka likes this.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
Thanks. So in theory, if I reversed course over the same spot, I 'll see the "arches"?

Then there's this. I see the structure but the green/yellow/red fuzz, fish or stuff growing off the structure?

Attachment 1041534
Probably smaller fish. Or less dense targets. Could possibly be rope.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #6
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Thanks! Yea, I think I have the screen speed way up there, I'll slow it down for sure.
Owned this Helix 10 for almost 2 years and still learning it.
Unread 05-22-2019, 11:52 PM   #7
Grouper

Keep in mind the only thing that is current about what you see is what is at the right margin of the screen, and it's all based on the fish movement relative to the transducer. Everything else but the right margin is a history, a 'tracing' if you will. The sonar interprets signals by distance, so a fish moving toward the transducer will appear to 'rise' in the water column, and the spaghetti-like squiggles are just a combination of those two factors.

What you are seeing is active fish. The upward and downward slant of the squiggles can be fish rising or falling in the water column, but could also just be a fish swimming toward and away from the transducer. Either way it's good because it means there are active fish.

The short take-home is spaghetti squiggles on the screen indicates active fish, and that's generally a good thing. Often it means they are chasing bait, but spaghetti is almost always better than stationary signals that just sit under the boat.
kanaka and jlw1972 like this.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"

Last edited by SurfRidr; 05-23-2019 at 12:02 AM.
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaka View Post

Attachment 1041534
In this picture, the more solid red stuff should be your structure. The color intensity is based on the density of the signal. Depending on your color palette choice it can vary, but based on what I see here, you have a pretty standard palette where red is more dense, then orange, then yellow, green, then blue. It's like looking a color radar image for storms, sorta.

So the green fuzz on the right of the structure is likely very small fish, aka bait. The yellow 'fuzz' on top is likely a school of something hanging near the structure. The yellow and green stuff on the left of the structure, I'm not sure... could be thick vegetation or fish, it's hard for me to say. The more intense the color, the more dense the signal, and generally that means the bigger the fish is that's making that signal. A tightly packed school can look more 'dense', hence large blobs of 'darker' colors up in the water column are sometimes bait that's schooled so tightly that it looks more 'solid' or dense... their defense mechanism. The blobs that appear on or at the bottom can be tougher to be sure about... in freshwater (where most of my sonar experience comes from), a dense brush pile can appear very similar to a bait school, so knowing what you're sitting over does help. If you have a unit capable of Down Imaging (DI), it can sometimes bring into clearer 'focus' what you're seeing.... DI has a narrower cone but higher detail, but I don't use DI very often personally.

People who get really good at understanding the densities of the various fish species can start to discern what types of fish they are seeing based on the intensity of the signal compared with the size of the 'blob' or 'arch'. I'm not that advanced yet, but I'm trying.
kanaka likes this.

Last edited by SurfRidr; 05-23-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Unread 05-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

Goof info. I never thought about screen speed.

What you guy make of this screen? Bait, small fish?
Attached Thumbnails
Sonar images-fish-finder-jpg  
Unread 05-23-2019, 02:19 AM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-Dude View Post
Goof info. I never thought about screen speed.

What you guy make of this screen? Bait, small fish?
Lot of fish with some movement, hence the squiggles. Bigger than bait. Big school of something. What type I couldn't tell you... they are occupying a lot of the water column, whatever they are.
Boat-Dude likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in