Shimano Toriums - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Shimano Toriums

So I went looking at new reels yesterday at J&M and told the guy what kind of fishing I plan on doing and he started telling me about the Toriums. Apparently they are the greatest reel for general purpose fishing (i.e. jigging, bottom fishing, and light trolling for kings and the such). I was thinking about getting a 750ssm spinning setup, couple of Penn 4/0 setups, and maybe a TLD25 setup until he started telling me about the Toriums. Now it seems the setup to have is a couple of Toriums on Trevela rods......Do any of ya'll have experience with the Toriums??? I am getting ready to start buying some of my gear but don't really want to spend stupid amounts of money. But if they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe I should go with them.....
cowboyup_iii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Yes I only blew up my Torium three times in five trips. They are notorius for antireverse bearings going out on them regularly. They are a good reel if you send it to be rebuilt with double dawg backup.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Grouper

I use Shimano Tyrnos 30 wides. Very good reels. Caught many big fish on them and they are good as new. Had a big mako spool me on a straight down dive and the drag is as smooth as it was new.

http://pensacolasharkfishing.com
Hired Hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Grouper

the guys that posted before are right. buy a lever drag setup like a tyrnos and think about a two speed setup also. i hate the trevela rods. They're too soft for me and lack backbone. on a budget the tld 25's are great reels, they make good drag, have a ton of capacity, and will give you a good shot at 99% of the fish within 40 miles.
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Is there any real difference between the 16, 20, and 30??? I know line capacity, but they have the same ratio, weight is basically the same. I was looking at a 16 at the store, but after looking at them online, I can't find a reason to go up a size to a 20 or 30?
cowboyup_iii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

It will depend on the application you are wanting them for. Line capacity is the basic difference.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Ive had em and used them deep 350+' of water dropping with recess and caught plenty of grouper and aj's on them with no problems. Instead of the shimano rod i would go to HotSpots and get the star steller light jigging rod, like the shimano but better.

Last edited by Pinksnappertrapper; 03-18-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Nat
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyup_iii View Post
So I went looking at new reels yesterday at J&M and told the guy what kind of fishing I plan on doing and he started telling me about the Toriums. Apparently they are the greatest reel for general purpose fishing (i.e. jigging, bottom fishing, and light trolling for kings and the such). I was thinking about getting a 750ssm spinning setup, couple of Penn 4/0 setups, and maybe a TLD25 setup until he started telling me about the Toriums. Now it seems the setup to have is a couple of Toriums on Trevela rods......Do any of ya'll have experience with the Toriums??? I am getting ready to start buying some of my gear but don't really want to spend stupid amounts of money. But if they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe I should go with them.....

I would not go with the torium for bottom fishing.....

http://alantani.com/
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post

Hey look at the bright side , if he blows it up Alantani can rebuild it and make it like the bionic man. Stronger and better. he can make it almost blowup proof. They are a good reel they just can not handle max drag.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Nat
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post

anyone that said they are the best reel since sliced bread.....was either a rookie or a liar or a salesperson trying to nail down a sale....

educate yourself before you spend your money
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in