Seeking Trolling Spread/Line Length Guidance - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By JD7.62

Old 01-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Seeking Trolling Spread/Line Length Guidance

I fish our 28' center console with twin outboards out of the Destin Pass. This year, I plan to fish further offshore (within 150 miles) and am looking for advice on lengths to run my outrigger lines. I run 2 lines from each outrigger, a shotgun and sometimes flat lines or planers off the corners, depending on what is biting.

I'm asking for recommendations and guidance on how long to run each:
- port outrigger long
- port outrigger short
-starboard outrigger long
-starboard outrigger short

I am learning and am in no way an expert...so hoping some of you guys with experience have some guidance I can follow.

Thank you!
-Trent
funball76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
White Marlin

Try this:

http://www.bluewaterhowto.com/?p=15
Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thank you, that is some very good and helpful info. Still, I cant seem to find much on how long each line should be behind the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

What are you targeting? Im FAR from a trolling expert but typically the stuff geared for billfish and wahoo will be closer in and tuna and dolphin further back. As for exact distance, there is never an exact difference. Distance is determined by many different things like weather, your boat, the way the lure runs, direction youre running into the waves, etc.

Put your lures where they run best. Youll be surprised at how close a fish will eat behind the boat. After all, your boat is the best teaser in your spread. By nature, because the open water is mostly a lifeless desert, pelagics must investigate every little sound they hear or splash they see as a potential source for food! One time, it was two of us on the boat and we were both on yellowfin. The riggers were reeled in and the lures were just dangling off the tips of the riggers. As we are fighting the tuna, we look over and a very nice blue is literally whacking at the illander bally combo as it dips in the water as the boat is rocking!!

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Trigger

You could try for long outriggers-face of 7th wave; short outriggers-face of 5th wave; shorts off the stern corners-face of the 3-4th wave. Using that pattern you don't have to worry about size of boat. Speed to have baits occasionally skip out of water (+/- 7-8 knots).

2008 Robalo R240 Twin 150 Yams
marlinchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Snapper

Disclaimer: I am not a certified expert in trolling, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Select last night....

I fish a little different spread. 5-6 lines.

Short flat starboard - face of third wake wave
Long flat port- face of 4th wake wave
Short rigger- 5th wake wave
Long rigger- 6th wake wave
(sometimes I swap long and short rigger between port and starboard sides)
Long line goes some undetermined distance past the longest rigger- usually not much more than the spacing of everything else and I don’t have a center rigger so i put it in a rod holder off of the center of my hard top.
Then at put a line in between all of them that we call the mousetrap. It is after the flat lines but maybe just short of the closest rigger.

That is the basic starting blue print I use- then it is on! I hop up on the hard top to get a better view and tweak it depending on conditions.

I run almost exclusively lures. So hitting the right speed to get all of them popping is critical. If you get all of them popping but one- get that one swapped out quickly.

I usually run 8.5 knots but again- that is the starting point- then you have to adjust based on conditions.

I have read to not jut stay in a straight line- get the lures popping in and out of prop wash. I have to say I have had a lot of bites when I make a turn- it slows some lures down, speeds others up and moves them in and out of the prop wash.

I hope that helps.

Catch’em up!!
panhandlephinsphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Thank you! Your reply is incredibly helpful and informative.
-Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlephinsphan View Post
Disclaimer: I am not a certified expert in trolling, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Select last night....

I fish a little different spread. 5-6 lines.

Short flat starboard - face of third wake wave
Long flat port- face of 4th wake wave
Short rigger- 5th wake wave
Long rigger- 6th wake wave
(sometimes I swap long and short rigger between port and starboard sides)
Long line goes some undetermined distance past the longest rigger- usually not much more than the spacing of everything else and I don’t have a center rigger so i put it in a rod holder off of the center of my hard top.
Then at put a line in between all of them that we call the mousetrap. It is after the flat lines but maybe just short of the closest rigger.

That is the basic starting blue print I use- then it is on! I hop up on the hard top to get a better view and tweak it depending on conditions.

I run almost exclusively lures. So hitting the right speed to get all of them popping is critical. If you get all of them popping but one- get that one swapped out quickly.

I usually run 8.5 knots but again- that is the starting point- then you have to adjust based on conditions.

I have read to not jut stay in a straight line- get the lures popping in and out of prop wash. I have to say I have had a lot of bites when I make a turn- it slows some lures down, speeds others up and moves them in and out of the prop wash.

I hope that helps.

Catch’em up!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in