Recommended tackle for Cobia - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM  
Ruby Red Lip

Default Recommended tackle for Cobia

With the Cobia migration fast approaching, I'm wondering if I've got the right tackle for the job. I'm sure everyone has their favorite, but is there a generally accepted "level" of tackle? What's too big? What's too small? What's the best length and weight of rod? Line weight, mono or braid? Your favorite reel type and why? I've always gotten lucky to be invited on charters with friends and didn't really need to know, but am now venturing out to try and learn more. The freshwater fishing I've done doesn't require nearly the variety of tackle required for saltwater, so I'm trying to figure out what sort of equipment will give me the most potential for the money. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. We're looking at Easter weekend right now, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as the time approaches!
CurtisJet is offline   Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 PM  
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: Recommended tackle for Cobia

I have an 8' 15 to 30 # spinning rod with a Shimano Spheros 12000 and 30 # line. Deadly on just about anything that swims.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM  
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I would use heavy spinning or baitcasting gear spooled with either 25-30lb. mono or 50lb. braid (I prefer braid). Match the reel with a 8-9ft. medium heavy action rod built on an E-glass or glass/composite blank. Most local shops carry rods designated specifically for this type of fishing and often have rod/reel combos ready during the spring. A good cobia setup will usually run you about 250-350 bucks. You can get a combo for less a setup of any quality will be in this range or even higher depending on how much you want to spend.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM  
Sailfish

If fishing on the boat I'd prefer 30# mono, but the on the pier 50# braid.
true-king is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM  
White Marlin

Quote:
true-king (3/2/2009)If fishing on the boat I'd prefer 30# mono, but the on the pier 50# braid.
Just curious, but why mono over braid for boat fishing?
Linkovich is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM  
Sailfish

Quote:
Linkovich (3/2/2009)
Quote:
true-king (3/2/2009)If fishing on the boat I'd prefer 30# mono, but the on the pier 50# braid.
Just curious, but why mono over braid for boat fishing?
You usually don't have to cast as far, and I'm guessing he doesn't want braid wrapped around his props.
P-cola_Native is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM  
Sailfish

Yeah, the distanceor the strengthisn't really needed. I've got braid on my rod though, since I will use it on boththe pier and the boat.
true-king is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM  
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

There are alot of Charter Boats that still won't allow braid on their boat, because it is a bear to get off of the props and shafts.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM  
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Yeah braid is very unforgiving and besides the problems that can arise should it get caught in a prop, it can cut hands easily and most simple and fast knots that work well in mono do knot work with the slippery braid. Cost is also a huge factor on a charter boat, its not very economical to fill 50 rods with braid.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM  
Trigger

get u a shimano tekota 600 or 700 on a saltiga rod. spool er up with either 60lb PP or 30lb mono and let er rip. this is a good setup for all around cobia fishing. it is also just a good all around "boat rod" for everything from snapper to aj's. you can jig all day with this combo and it wont wear you out like heavier setups will. this combo is easy to cast as well, and is pretty damn economical. just my .02
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in