question about rigging for kings/casting to kings - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default question about rigging for kings/casting to kings

I lost a couple yesterday while trolling. Before that we were catching cigar minnows by the buoys and I saw a couple of huge ones cruising through the bait pods; they were only a few feet from the boat.

What should I have rigged up for casting at one of these guys? My rod selection is kind of limited but I have two large spinning rod/reel combos that I could set up for the next time this happens. The reels are at least as big as a Penn 650.

How to you get one to bite when there is all of that bait around? Should I just freeline/drift a bait behind the boat?

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Grouper

Slow troll a live bait using 44lb wire leader about 18" long with a small j-hook hooked into the front of the bait (I go inside the mouth and up through the top of the head just forward of the eyes) and a small stinger treble hook back by the tail. If your live bait is big then add another stinger. When I say slow troll, I mean just fast enough to keep your lines straight behind the boat. A lot of times this means you just bump it in and out of gear. My boat tracks pretty straight with the stern to the wind so if the wind is right I'll just shut the motor off. To get your bait to stand out from all the other bait fish you can add a duster. My favorite store-bought color is green but I prefer the ones I made by cutting thin ribbons out of a spongebob mylar ballon.
Trophyhusband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

When you see them like that take a fresh dead cigar minnow rigged on wire with a treble hook and toss out and let sink. Then hold on, he will smoke it big time.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

get some wire and treble hooks and make your own rigs, it's good to have a few different sizes depending on the size of the bait.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Thanks, guys. I think I have a better idea of what to do and what I need to rig up. It was crazy seeing those big things just cruising on top of the water.

Any other suggestions or help would be most welcome.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Snapper

I'd like to add a question to this thread. Is the trolling speed for frozen cigs the same as for live ones? Also, can you fish for kings with live/dead menhaden?
Prince Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Caspian View Post
I'd like to add a question to this thread. Is the trolling speed for frozen cigs the same as for live ones? Also, can you fish for kings with live/dead menhaden?
Feel free to ask anything you want. I, too, am trying to learn as much as I can. It's frustrating to see a fish like that and struggle to catch it!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Snapper

Thanks, aroundthehorn. I guess most of you guys fish around the Perdido Pass and eastward from there, and I'm hoping Chris V will chime in here, but does anyone know if there are cigs around the mouth of Mobile bay? What's the best way to catch them? I can throw a cast net, and mine is 10', or is it better to use a sabiki?
Prince Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

baitfish stack up outside any pass off the sandbar where it drops off, even away from the pass you'll find them off the beach. Best to look in the morning or before sundown but they are there all day just not on the surface where you can see them. Cast nets don't work very well in deep water unless you have the rite kind. Use a sabiki and if your having trouble catching them tip the hooks with cut bait. You do troll dead cigs faster that live baits, 4-6mph is plenty though and you can drag artificials at that speed at the same time.

Last edited by bigrick; 05-29-2012 at 08:12 PM.
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Caspian View Post

Only slow troll with live menhaden, if you use dead one they will only spin. That's why cigs are more popular they are streamline and track in the water better. Live menhaden work good but only go fast enough to keep your lines tight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in