Private reef - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Private reef

I just bought a reef and had it put out in about 100 ft of water. Just wondering how much better it will be than the public pods and tanks out of orange beach.
MissKristy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Private reef

If you dont fish it....it will produce 10 times better fish!!!! It is amazing what a small private reef fish ocasionally does compared to a public spot fished by 20 or more boats a week.

You can also join the RFRA for less than $50 a year, and build all the private reefs you want, with all the tools there at the shop, and more rebar and metal than you have ever seen.

I was surprised at just how simple it was, I built a nice big one in a day. I plan on building at least 20 over the winter months while its cooler.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Sailfish

Private reefs generally producebetter than public spots, with acouple of "if's" involved.

There's really no such thing as a private reef, just reefs that were put down with private funds. A more accurate term would be "unpublished reef."

If you're careful how you fish it, it can be a good producing spot. Try not to fish it on weekends when there are lots of boats out. You want to protect it from being discovered and overfished.

If not too many people find it and fish it, it can be a good producing spot.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Mingo

Chris,

Congratulations on doing your part to add to the fishery. Question(s) for you: who did you employ to deploy your reef? And have they dropped it yet? The reason I ask is that hopefully you used David Walters of Reef Maker. He has a great reputation and is trusted by everyone I know. Also, you mentioned that you were building it in 100 feet of water. Obviously it will grow fish, especially if you leave it alone for 18-24 months. It will attract bait and pelagics within a year, along with juvenile reef fish, but if you can resist the temptation to drop on it for two years you will be rewarded. The only problem I see is that 100 feet of water is within reach of most charter boats on a 6-8 hour trip. Running every day in all directions of the pass, I hate to say it, but I think it will be found by one of them. It just happens. If you are able to put it in, say 150 feet or deeper, especially to the south or SW of Perdido Pass, there will be less chance of it being found and there will be more fish on it at any given time. Lastly, guard that spot at all costs...when you go to fish it, don't get caught on it with other boats within sight of you. You paid for it and went to the effort to build it. If you are fishing it and can see other boats in close proximity, do yourself a favor and leave so you don't get "zapped." Good luck.
Bryan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Sailfish

It sounds like he possibly dropped it in AL waters?

A charter boat MIGHT run over it, but I wouldn't say it is a certainty. It seems like the charter guys I fish with usually run over at least one or two "hot spots" a year, but it usually isn't a small private spot. Usually it is something relatively big that hasn't been fished in a while.
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Trigger

I did use David and he is deploying it tomarrow.
MissKristy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Forget about as long as you can.

The longer it sits, the better it gets.

I should write songs.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Sailfish

Send a message via ICQ to bamasam Send a message via AIM to bamasam Send a message via Yahoo to bamasam

Let me know where you dropped it Chris and I will keep an eyeon itfor you :letsdrink
bamasam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Snapper

You will be amazed at how your fishing skills will improve with a private spot or 2.

Conventional wisdom says leave them alone for at least a year but with all the snapper out there next year it should be holding legal fish. If you are like most of us a few spots is all you need.

David has done several spots for me, including car bodies back in the day.. Nothing held fish like a crushed car...

Only thing, we get another Ivan or Katrina you may be back at square 1, I was.. Good luck.
Instant Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Grouper

if everybody on here deployed 20 reefs a year. the fishing would be awesome all year round! every little reef helps. congarts on your part. keep up the good work. some day we will get our limit of snapper back to four and all year round. fish on!
reelhappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in