port st. joe question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default port st. joe question

Taking the lady down to Port St. Joe for th 4th. Should I take my boat (Cape Horn 19)? Any good near shore fishing there? Is the sound/bay relatively safe for somebody who has never driven a boat there? TIA

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
White Marlin

Yes. All the above.
Play'N Hooky Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky View Post
Yes. All the above.

Do you have any suggestions about where to go in that area? I've literally never been to that part of Florida, but I'd like to take the lady, my parents, and my older brother out for something fun. I think we will go scalloping one morning or afternoon.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Trigger

Stop at Half Hitch Tackle in Port. St Joe... for good local info
younghooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

PSJ is my favorite place in the entire state of Florida. You can launch at the boat ramp in the state park on the end of Cape San Blas. I've had lots of luck with flounder in the potholes, trout in the grass, and redfish along the shore, not to mention an unusual number of hungry sharks. Should be some Macks hanging out at the pass as well. I suggest you pull the boat up at the tip of the state park and wonder around. There are some really neat fresh water lagoons on the beach Gulf side.
GandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandyGirl View Post
PSJ is my favorite place in the entire state of Florida. You can launch at the boat ramp in the state park on the end of Cape San Blas. I've had lots of luck with flounder in the potholes, trout in the grass, and redfish along the shore, not to mention an unusual number of hungry sharks. Should be some Macks hanging out at the pass as well. I suggest you pull the boat up at the tip of the state park and wonder around. There are some really neat fresh water lagoons on the beach Gulf side.
x10 as my favorite place as well.
Run around to the tip of the cape and fish the bouy string. Should be Macs galore with just about everything else. Or run around to the gulf side of the cape and live bait the tarpon, just watch out for the sharks!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Trigger

Be careful though, VERY SHALLOW in many areas in that bay for those that don't know it well. Scalloping is fun for those who like to snorkel and see blue crabs, flounder, mullet etc. Fishing is good as well and Half Hitch can set you up as they said. Toucans is a decent place to grab a bite and the atmosphere can be interesting there and of course the Cape is really cool.

PSJ is like Destin/PCB used to be before it was "developed".

Just curious Razzor and Gandygirl, have you guys been down to the Keys before? Especially places like Lower Sugarloaf Key away from the touristy stuff? Nothing like crystal clear water, any fishing you want plus lobsters in 5' of water plus cool local places to grab a bite like Bahama Mama's or you can do the touristy thing in 30 minutes down to Key West and Malorie Square.
Ruger7mmmag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthehorn View Post
Taking the lady down to Port St. Joe for th 4th. Should I take my boat (Cape Horn 19)? Any good near shore fishing there? Is the sound/bay relatively safe for somebody who has never driven a boat there? TIA
I am headed that way this weekend. I will post a report on Monday. hope the weather hold out for us
Attached Thumbnails
port st. joe question-mbara-001-jpg  
DHB699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Just to have fun, you can find ladyfish anywhere right now, keep a bunch of them and go shark fishing. They are everywhere and fun to catch. Or you can roll around to Indian Pass and go after tarpon.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger7mmmag View Post
Be careful though, VERY SHALLOW in many areas in that bay for those that don't know it well. Scalloping is fun for those who like to snorkel and see blue crabs, flounder, mullet etc. Fishing is good as well and Half Hitch can set you up as they said. Toucans is a decent place to grab a bite and the atmosphere can be interesting there and of course the Cape is really cool.

PSJ is like Destin/PCB used to be before it was "developed".

Just curious Razzor and Gandygirl, have you guys been down to the Keys before? Especially places like Lower Sugarloaf Key away from the touristy stuff? Nothing like crystal clear water, any fishing you want plus lobsters in 5' of water plus cool local places to grab a bite like Bahama Mama's or you can do the touristy thing in 30 minutes down to Key West and Malorie Square.

I was there last week, but I was stuck in meetings . I have not spent as much time on the water as I would like to down there.. certainly a top priority
GandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in