Pin Fish Trap Advice! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default Pin Fish Trap Advice!

Had my trap stolen yesterday near the Archie Glover boat ramp. Been puttin my trap in this spot for for a while now, not near the ramp but in that sound area.

My question is, is there anything I can do to reduce my chances of it being stolen? I see crab traps with buoys everywhere and nobody takes them. I don't use a buoy so it's not visible but I'm thinking about using one now. Do you think if I did that would make people leave it alone? Of course it would be a buoy similar to the crab trappers but different enough they know it's not theirs.

What do y'all do? My options are pretty limited to that area and you can't beat some good live pins. I need some advice!
deersniper270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Snapper

What I do is not mark it in any way, no buoy or rope. Just send it to the bottom where you can hook it with a gaff. Just remember where it is.
ABailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
White Marlin

I did that in the same spot I've been using for a while now and I added 4 1lb lead weights to the corners just to make sure it stayed put. Went for it saturday and it was gone. Had it marked with a pine tree and even got in the water and walked in straight lines from the shore about 10ft across and out from the shore to where I couldn't touch bottom anymore. There is no way it just washed away. It just sucks that we live in a society where people can't just leave things that aren't theirs alone. And I have it marked with my name and telephone number just incase someone happened upon it they would know it wasn't lost and they would leave it alone or call me to let me come get it if they hooked it by accident. It even said if recovered please call. I'm just trying to figure something out because it was a $35 trap and I don't want to keep throwing away $35. We all know how expensive all our other gear is on top of that.

So do you not think if I marked it with a buoy like the crabbers do people would just leave it alone? I know its a brutal penalty if you get caught taking someones crab traps. Why would it be any different for a pinfish trap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

tie it up under a semiprivate dock. A condo or something that is private but lots of people live there. Make sure the rope is under the water so no one can see it.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Grouper

The only way I know is make sure the rope is below the water line. Put it out right at sunset, pick it up at sunrise. Any longer than that it maybe gone.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

hard to catch pinfish in a trap at night, gotta have some light.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrick View Post
tie it up under a semiprivate dock. A condo or something that is private but lots of people live there. Make sure the rope is under the water so no one can see it.
Wish I had one near where we put the boat in
Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Snapper

I have had two "walk away" and it stinks. I was loading the pinfish in the boat at sun up and then returning to load the trap on my boat after a day of fishing. I have since put them out late afternoon and put them on the boat when I pick them up at sunrise and so far have not lost anymore
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Its a risk you have to take! I throw my trap out at the dock the night before without a bouy and have yet to lose one (hope i didnt jink myself). The only way your gonna lose it is if someone sees you throwing it in the water. Weigh the alternatives--pin fish trap $35 or cigar minnows from the bait boat $40 (depending on number of fishermen). Unfortunately there are people out there that dont care you or me. To bad there's not a pin fish boat out there similar to the cig boat for bait.
Stephan Pannell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
White Marlin

Yeah I don't buy bait. It only takes a few minutes to load up on threadfins and other bait instead of buying them. There are a few private docks near where I put in. I think I'm gonna go down there and knock on a few doors and just see if anyone would care if I dropped my trap under their dock and tied it off. Maybe someone won't care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in