Pensacola visitor - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Pensacola visitor

Hey guys. We fish offshore of Texas coast. I'm taking the family to Pensacola next week and was considering pulling our smaller boat. Is there much structure or rigs within 15 or 20 miles. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks

Joey
Cat tales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

There are plenty of reefs and wrecks within 15-20 miles of Pensacola Pass. We do not have any Rigs though. The closest ones are out of Alabama.

Public Numbers are here:

http://www.co.escambia.fl.us/Bureaus...MASTERlist.pdf
Telum Pisces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Snapper

You can reach most public #'s (100's of them) within 20 miles of the pass.. some as few as 3 miles out.
FishGolfDrink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Grouper

Default p-cola

also no snapper over here they are out of season unlike Tx we can only keep them 45 days a year
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad the fed snapper season is over anyway. Our state water fish are usually pretty small over here. We dont even fish for them. Im ready for AJ season to open up! Is there much out there around 20 miles besides kingfish now? I'm trying to figure out if I should drag the boat or just bring a couple kayaks. I hear kings are caught within kayak range in yall's area?? I'm just looking for something to do in our spare time.

Thanks,

Joey
Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat tales View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad the fed snapper season is over anyway. Our state water fish are usually pretty small over here. We dont even fish for them. Im ready for AJ season to open up! Is there much out there around 20 miles besides kingfish now? I'm trying to figure out if I should drag the boat or just bring a couple kayaks. I hear kings are caught within kayak range in yall's area?? I'm just looking for something to do in our spare time.

Thanks,

Joey
Plenty of AJ's within 20 miles. If you go about 26 miles out to some of the bigger wrecks such as the Oriskany (on the public list of numbers I posted), you can send down a BIG bait and hope to hold on to that rod for some big AJ's. There are a few other wrecks out that way that hold some big AJ's.

Inside 20 miles though, there are plenty of AJ's. Just focus on the wrecks that have a high relief of 15-20 feet and the big ones are there.
Telum Pisces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Snapper

Within 20 miles you can crush fish... It's tough to evade the red snapper, but for bottom fishing you can keep grouper, vermillion snapper, tigger fish (within state water only), black snapper (mangrove), lane snapper.... or you can catch reds till your arms fall off.

AJ is open starting August 1st.. they are all over the place too. Almaco's have no closed season.

For yak fishing, you can catch spanish and kings right now close to the beaches. Inshore you can catch redfish, flounder, and specks. If you are going to venture into the gulf, make sure you have all the right safety gear and pick calm surf days. Getting flipped sucks...
Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info again guys. By looking at the fishing reports, it sure seems like there are a lot more grouper over there than we have. We r staying on Pensacola beach. Any recommendations for a close boat ramp or even overnight docking for a week? How is it going out of Pensacola pass? Any tricks?

Thanks again,

Joey
Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Snapper

PM sent
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Trigger

The bulk of the grouper tend to be farther offshore(a lot 25+ miles w deep dropping). Also seem to catch more grouper closer in the further east you go.
ryanbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in