Penn Rods... crap or what? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Penn Rods... crap or what?

Okay, I was taught to have some faith in Penn products. In the past few years I have had several medium-heavy & medium Penn rods snap my braided line due to damaged eyes. The eyelets have chipped and sharp insides or the inner ring just comes out. This has happened with 3 different models ($50-$75 range) and I am really tired of repairing them at Half Hitch. The best part is that it usually happens when there is a bigger fish on.

What happened to Penn quality? The only Penn rods I trust are my 15 year old Slammers ($100 at the time) and Senator series with all rollers.

Any advise on reliable brands/models for bottom fishing in the 100-200 foot depth. I use braid.

Thanks
Mattatoar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Grand Slam

I don't think the older Slammers were made to use braid. I have a few and noticed there are two diff sets of eyes. The one with the eye inserts that has the thin metal band around them are prone to have problems. Look for the ones with solid eyes. I'm sure the heat/friction with braid along with corrosion and normal wear and tear plays a big part. I found some combo deals years ago and still using them today with some eye replacements so I can't say anything bad about them. I'm guessing I have them for about 10yrs and I'm not that easy on them. Also the last 2 years I switched two of them over to braid and use one alot for jigging. I feel I deffinetly got my moneys worth out of them.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

I have one Penn with eyelets and have never had that problem. I've had a G. Loomis and St. Croix break eyelets and cut line, but that was from somebody cramming them into the rod box.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Smile Penn reels

I personally have always used penn reels. They may sometimes be a little eexpensive, but i really have never had any major problems with them.
lds4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Sailfish

i bought 2 330 with rods, 3 more peens 2 spin combos, eyes fell out of one on way home others came out in boat ride or 1st fish gave or sold every one i had. took one new rod i hadnt used yet took pinky finger pushed every eye off, juny, made in china, high dollar reels still good. if u notice they have braced all newer eyes on newer rods, but cerminic still falls out. ugly stick made in china havent had any eyes come off one of those. i bought all shimano tld 15,s and 20,s to replace them junkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk cheap penn rods
20simmons sea skiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattatoar View Post
Okay, I was taught to have some faith in Penn products. In the past few years I have had several medium-heavy & medium Penn rods snap my braided line due to damaged eyes. The eyelets have chipped and sharp insides or the inner ring just comes out. This has happened with 3 different models ($50-$75 range) and I am really tired of repairing them at Half Hitch. The best part is that it usually happens when there is a bigger fish on.

What happened to Penn quality? The only Penn rods I trust are my 15 year old Slammers ($100 at the time) and Senator series with all rollers.

Any advise on reliable brands/models for bottom fishing in the 100-200 foot depth. I use braid.

Thanks

Same here with the Slammers.

Won't buy another of those, but I LOVE the Penn Torque Jigging series. Sensitive and powerful. The Ugly Stik is hard to beat on a bang-for-the-buck basis.
Fog Ducker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

I have a 9' Penn I use for surf fishing... within the first 2 months, the grip came off. Within a year two guides had to be replaced. Wasn't too pleased with the last Penn reel I bought either; only lasted one season. (I clean my equipment after every outing) I switched to Shimano and won't be going back. The reels I picked up are SUPER smooth and the drag on both work flawlessly (almost 2 years old now)
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in