Owner assist hooks? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Owner assist hooks?

Have any of you had a problem with these hooks bending on you jigs with bigger fish? With my jigs I feel like like I have to put more pressure on the fish to keep them out of certain structure. I have had a problem with them bending. Just curious if anyone else has had the same issue. Does anyone make you own with better hooks?
Scabs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Owner assist hooks?

With out a doubt the owner assist hooks bend on big fish even the 7/0 s. We tried the tormentor assist hooks the other day from top gun and straighten them out easier than the owners, My only solution was to make my own for larger fish , you can buy a pack of gorilla hooks by owner and snell them with 200# power pro or related braids,just snell with both ends together it usally takes 10 inches of braids to tie with and you should burn the ends when you are done. Trust me the gorilla hook wont open. This is just what works for me and it is alot cheaper .

TIM
Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

That sucks those tormentorsare bending Tim. I've only used them once before but that was for snapper. I always push the owners and pro fish brand more.I make my own with the gorillas as well but I tie them differently. I've used the owners a lot and for the most partI haven't bent too many of them other than on amberjack. You should try the monster series from owner, I have yet to bend one of those.Mustad makes some now and I'm going to give them a try as well.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

You can also get a little tool and buy some kevlar chord and mustad ultra point 8/0 or mustad hoodlum hooks and make your own for a 1/3 the price. You can also find heat shrink in just about any color imaginable. Thare are guys putting 40 and 50 pounds of drag catching 120+ pound ajs with the hoodlums so straightening shouldn't be a problem.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

I make my own assist hook/leader out of 150# braided dacron. I made a stainless steel threading tool and they come out as they are packaged. You can use whatever hook you care to.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
tunapopper (1/11/2009)That sucks those tormentorsare bending Tim. I've only used them once before but that was for snapper. I always push the owners and pro fish brand more.I make my own with the gorillas as well but I tie them differently. I've used the owners a lot and for the most partI haven't bent too many of them other than on amberjack. You should try the monster series from owner, I have yet to bend one of those.Mustad makes some now and I'm going to give them a try as well.
Chris i will give them a try for sure , let me know when you get some mustads ill be down to pick a few up.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Tuna Man (1/11/2009)I make my own assist hook/leader out of 150# braided dacron. I made a stainless steel threading tool and they come out as they are packaged. You can use whatever hook you care to.

Ron pic of your needle? I'm using 150# as well but tying the end - love to see how you do it. As for hooks - buy the Pro Packs of owners about 50% off the 3-4 hook package. Also the live bait models work as good/better then gorilla.

:mmmbeer

Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Tuna Man (1/11/2009)I make my own assist hook/leader out of 150# braided dacron. I made a stainless steel threading tool and they come out as they are packaged. You can use whatever hook you care to.

Ron pic of your needle? I'm using 150# as well but tying the end - love to see how you do it. As for hooks - buy the Pro Packs of owners about 50% off the 3-4 hook package. Also the live bait models work as good/better then gorilla.

Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Squid technician
Grand Slam

You can make a simple splicing needle by simply taking a piece of singlestrand wire about a foot long and doubling it over. All you have to do to splice is insertthe doubled endinto the dacron, kevlar or hollow core spectra as far as you want the stinger to be long, push it through the side, open the loop formed by the doubled wire, insert the tag end of your dacron or whatever and pull it back through. How you secure your loop varies as there are many ways to make stinger hooks. If anybody is in O.B. and wants to see how to make them, stop by Top Gun Tackle. Trust meI have nothing else to do.

Chris
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
Stressless (1/11/2009)
Quote:

Stressless
Stainless steel..(any will do) wire double wrapped, with small loop. 9-10 inches long.

Length of 130-150# Dacron.

Insert loop through one end..call that end "A"

Slide Dacron down over the needle, and push through as pictured. Make sure that remaining Dacron is longer then what is threaded on the needle.

Thread loose tag "B" end into needle hole. I melt the end to make it easier.

Pull needle with "B" back out through the Dacron that is on the needle.

Insert pencil/pen through loop, remove"B" from needleand work the Dacron down over the internal Dacron.

Finished loop.

Rough end.

Finish end..cut and melt.

Snell hook.

Finish hook..cut tag and melt.

To finish either glue or heat shrink..as you see I heat shrink.

Install on split ring on jig.

Knot option 2

Thread loop through hook eye.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in