Ono Island boat lift - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Ono Island boat lift

I am fairly new to fishing out of perdido pass. I ussually fish from DI. I am thinking about using a buddy's boat lift that is on Ono. I got two questions: 1. How easy is it to get bait and where? ie pinfish trap, hardtails, croaker, squirrelfish etc..2.Where is the best marina to refuel and how much extra is the gas compared to regular gas stations?
tjkelly17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Ono Island boat lift

Last week gas was about $2.25 or so a gallon at Sun Harbor and San Roc Cay. What type of fishing are you doing?

You can get live shrimp on the water at either Romar Harbor Marina in Cotton Bayou past Zeke's or at Outcast bait right by the Marina Police station. Mo's Bait and Tackle on the Beachfront Road at Zeke's marina has live shrimp and bull minnow's by car.

Hardtails can be caught around the jetty's using a spoon. The best way to get pin fish is to just put a trap off the dock. Frozen baits like Cigar Minnows and Ballyhoo are over at J & M's.

Hope that helps.
BullBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the help. I mainly do bottom fishing, Snapper, AJ etc and whatever else will bite. Some trolling. Are the hardtails fairly consistent around the jetties? Thanks for the info. I want to do more trollin around the nipple/131 area . One more question, How far to the sw do start to come into the rigs that are S of gulf shores?
tjkelly17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

The Rigs start about 20 miles SW of the pass, and hardtail start coming in when the water warms up alittle more.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Trigger

Its about 24 miles or so to the rigs south east of the bay. If you turn right out of the Pass and run along the beach, when you get down closer to Fort Morgan you can see them clearly, especially the Triple Sisters. It's the triple platform rig about 12-14 miles out. You really don't need a GPS to get there. That big rig is in a line of rigs running out from the bay.

There were no hardtails last weekend when I was down there. They will start to show up when the water temp rises. I went offshore last week and killed the snapper on dead cigar minnows. If you get a hot shot chart you can find the locations of over 100 underwater reefs that are accessable from the Pass. To troll over, drift over, or bottom fish.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Trigger

The rigs are southwest of the pass...towards Mobile Bay. Sorry for the typo in the previous post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in