Offshore trolling rod questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
IT'S ALL GOOD !
Sailfish

Default Offshore trolling rod questions

I am new to offshore trolling. My question is: do you use a rod with full rollers, tip only and why ? I know there are people who are using braid with a topshot of mono and vise versa. Does the braid not work well with rollers and if not, why is that ? Is it because it can get caught between the rollers ?
Thanks for any help.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

There are many answers to these questions and no "right answer". I will say I prefer rollers for my trolling rods because they undoubtedly reduce friction far more than a ring guide. Now, there are many newer and much higher quality inserts in some guides that reduce the coefficient drastically, but there's just no substitute for rollers.

I have almost never had an issue with braid getting off of the roller and into the frame, but it has happened a couple times. Both times it was solved quickly and without damage.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Kim
Blue Marlin

If you are going to pull the trigger and buy some trolling rigs it would be a good idea to go into one of the local tackle shops and have a talk with someone like Chris V and have a hands on with the rods and reels. The rod class size, the reel, the line, splice knots used are all important things to consider and will make fishing more fun out on the water.

You need to figure out what kind of fishing you are going to do and what your budget will be. Are you going to start out with lower end but serviceable gear and upgrade as you go along? Or are you going to equip yourself with the gear that will last a life time with reasonable maintenance?

Don't be surprised when talking about buying reels with a guy like Chris when they mention that you should consider a good belt and gimbal, perhaps even a harness and definitely a line cutter just in case that dreaded moment ever arises. These things won't be mentioned from a sales point of view but as things that will make you fishing more fun and keep you safe.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Kim's middle paragraph above is really the most important part before you walk into your local tackle shop's door. You can help save time and money by knowing the long term goal
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
IT'S ALL GOOD !
Sailfish

Thanks guys. I have only been going past 15 miles offshore in the last 10 months or so, when I went from a 17 to 21 foot boat. I don't think my boat will be pulling 5-7 lines. I was lucky enough to catch a few wahoo a few months ago just pulling 2 lines. Of course, that has me thinking it is easy but, I know I was just lucky. I was using daiwa saltist conventional reels on no roller rods made for bottom fishing by Outcast. I have a Shimano Trinidad 16tn that I use for bottom fishing. Is this reel too small to use for trolling ? It is a winch but may not have the line capacity needed. Would I be better off getting something like a TLD 25. Those are about a third of the cost of that Trinidad.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in