Now that ARS season is about to close.... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Now that ARS season is about to close....

...(and Lord knows when it will be open again), what is your opinion on the "new" stringent red snapper regs we're being forced to endure?

Personally, I was skeptical (understatement) about what would happen. I thought snapper fishing would be about the same as it had been for the last 25 years, but with just less fish in the box. I was wrong!

Instead, I've seen people in small boats catching snapper -- BIG snapper -- on public numbers that are usually fished out within two days of the season opening. I've seen the average snapper in the box go from about two pounds to about six or eight pounds, with more fish over 15 pounds than ever.

In other words, it's been a boon to the recreational boater/fisherman. Charter boats, not so much, as they have to struggle to fill up their hours on the water after limiting out on ARS in the first hour every day. With amberjack and grouper closed, this leaves only king mackeral, triggers, mingos and the stray black snapper to take up the slack.

I also hate that amberjack and grouper are closed when ARS season is open. Hopefully, this closure will have the same effect as the snapper closures, and when it's open again, everyone will be "on the fish" in easy to find and get-to places.

What's your opinion?
GAHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

I know AJs open back up first of August, but when does Gag open??
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
I know AJs open back up first of August, but when does Gag open??
Gag closed indefinitely

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Sailfish

Wait till your out there fishing, having to throw a fish back because they are 'endangered' while a commercial fisherman is next to you with a huge long line, bringing them up by the hundreds.

It's all about who has the money.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Gags re-open September 15th I heard.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
Gags re-open September 15th I heard.

Lets put it this way, I will believe it when I see it. They said initially they were closing Gags with 186 days restrictions with a possible 182 day to follow if necessary. They also did that with Red Snapper on the East Coast. 186 days rolled around, they added the 182 days on top. That came and went and they added 3 months on top of that. They then said because Red Snapper are depleted from Stuart to Key West we are going to have to close Red Snapper for 30 years, yes you heard me 30 years. Now anyone who has ever fishied those waters, knows Red Snapper have never been plentiful down ther so that was just some more of their hocus pocus to add to their smoke and mirror show. The simple facts are they are going to do whatever they please and it doesn't matter who sqwaks or how laud they sqwak either. It is merely another case of GOVERNMENT GONE WILD. It is time to FIRE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM AND START FROM SCRATCH. My local dog catcher could do a better job, at least he has held down a real job instead of carreer politician.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
The Yakslayer
Snapper

Gags are open from Sept. 16 - Nov. 15th.

http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwat.../gulf-grouper/
BlackJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Lets put it this way, I will believe it when I see it. They said initially they were closing Gags with 186 days restrictions with a possible 182 day to follow if necessary. They also did that with Red Snapper on the East Coast. 186 days rolled around, they added the 182 days on top. That came and went and they added 3 months on top of that. They then said because Red Snapper are depleted from Stuart to Key West we are going to have to close Red Snapper for 30 years, yes you heard me 30 years. Now anyone who has ever fishied those waters, knows Red Snapper have never been plentiful down ther so that was just some more of their hocus pocus to add to their smoke and mirror show. The simple facts are they are going to do whatever they please and it doesn't matter who sqwaks or how laud they sqwak either. It is merely another case of GOVERNMENT GONE WILD. It is time to FIRE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM AND START FROM SCRATCH. My local dog catcher could do a better job, at least he has held down a real job instead of carreer politician.
+10000

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Grand Slam

What is the point of going out (that's just my thought bubble) until at least AJ season is open?

I think this is the way the PTB want it. I also wonder about all of the legal, but "undersized" snapper that were thrown back over the last month or so and what their survival rate will be. Create a crisis and justify your existence...I wish I could live that way.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
Snapper

When AJ does open I think you can only keep one per person. Not a lot to look forward to but better than nothing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in