Newbie help needed! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Penn Head
Cigar Minnow

Default Newbie help needed!

I am brand new to fishing in Destin and Would love any basic info on baits,rigs, types of rods etc... that you guys could send my way. I grew up surf fishing the Outer Banks of N.C. and this type of fishing down here is alot to try and take in. So any tips, pointers, advice will be greatly appreciated.
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
Trigger

Hey there
Well, i'm not an expert myself, but i have caught some really fun fish of the shore in the gulf of mexico. I've always loved to used fresh bait. Cast nets always worked well for me. Usually caught mullet which you can see on the surface. Liphook one of those and toss it out with a good chunk of lead so you get far out there like you prob did in the atlantik. You can use pretty big hooks to avoid small fish, like 1/0 or so. I've fished most of the time with cheap walmart fishingpole/reel combo. They cost like 30-40$ and hold up real well. There are A LOT of fish you can catch from the shore. Even better are the piers though, people catch all kinda fish off of those. From shore i've caught trout, redfish, small shark, bluefish, ladyfish (no good to eat but maaan what a fight!!), syingrays, flounder, croakers of course, pompano.... I know destin has some awesome cobia fishing in the spring, never had the honor though.
Hope i was some help, if you have any questions, let me know
Paolo, tight lines
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Penn Head
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the advice! Do you know of any good spots to catch bait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Trigger

I've always fished over on dauphin island, but i guess it's all the same kinda:
Mullet roam around near shore arou d structure. Castnetting them is really easy. They school, so easy to see and easy to catch a bunch at a time... I once caught over 120 in one cast. The sabiki rigs can do pretty well from shore as well, might get you some pinfish. You could always fish for small croakers by just bottom fishing with any kind of bait (shrimp, squid, cutbait, pretty much anything) and some smaller hooks. You might even run into some nice fish like that.
I've usually caught best towards the evening, but u might have yo find that out for yourself and for destin. The piers usually sell bait as well. I always love catching my own though... It's free too 
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Penn Head
Cigar Minnow

like the free part!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in