New Fisherman Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New Fisherman Help

Like many others I have moved to Gulf and bought a boat and have some questions .... if anybody can help a newbie I appreciate it....

1. We are going out of Perdido pass for Red Snapper .... we have had limited success .... what distance should I go before fishing ?

2. If I am past 9 miles off Florida am I OK with just an Alabama license ? Like at the I-10 rubble ?

3. Is it better to try to drift over the locations and use motors to position or to anchor ?

4. How far out for Mahi and what method should I use ?

Thanks,

J
oldshue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
countryfishingboy
Ruby Red Lip

hey man a good way to catch snapper is to stop and anchor but for them mahi a good way to catch them is go out lay a bunch of nwspaper in the water and wait a couple hours the mahis will get under it for shade and bait will come to it thats also y they r there and a good way to catch them is on live bait with mono filimant liter
countryfishingboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Grand Slam

First, Welcome to Paridise. Not to be a S.A., but search on here and county web sites for reefs/wrecks, this is one I had.
1. http://www.reefball.org/album/florida/WestCoast/escambia/artificialreefcoordinates/artificialreefs.pdf
Look up Dutch Banks, it's not far.

2. I believe you are okay unless you run through Fla. state waters and are caught there.

3.Depends. What are you fishing for? How fast is the current and wind? Remember, to use your motor/s you are backing into the current and wind, usually.

4. Mahi usually are not so much of a target species, usually more of a bye catch or incedental on floatsom or weeds. Depends on how long the winds are out of the South and how warm the water is.

If I were you I would learn where the wrecks, structure and natural bottom are and anchor on it and enjoy that part of fishing until it becomes comfortable to you. Good Luck, enjoy your fishing and be safe. It can get ugly quick here. Sea Tow or Boat US are your friends, get one of them.

Skip.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Grouper

As to the license if you launch and return to land in alabama your fine.
Get a fish ID book and size limit so you only bring home legal fish.

Radio, Sea Tow only go out on days you feel comfortable, light winds and waves, normally takes a lot longer to get back...

Watch out for others most have the same GPS numbers dont anchor to close to others already fishing.

Find a fishing buddy who knows what he is doing, most of all be safe and have fun.. Tight Lines.....
knot @ Work is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Grouper

ala lic is fine as long as you leave and return there..

most folks use way to heavy tackle.. 20 lb flouro and 3/O circle is more than enough.. especially on heavily fished public wreaks..

snaps are gonna be close to structure so unless you are good at holding on a spot anchoring is probably your best bet..

If you do try to hold up on a spot with inexperienced anglers go with a dropper rig and at least a 6-8 oz weight.. it gets down there before the boat moves much.. and lessens the chance for tangling in the props or on other lines.. especially if the current is strong..

plenty of info on here check out the reef section or use the search function..

rich
reel_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Can someone show me where it says that about the license? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

Shue,

welcome to the Guff and the Forum.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I definitely wouldn't be out there putting newspaper in the water to try to get mahi....FWC watching you "littering" would be funny to explain. Ifin you can't find weed lines, I've heard of folks taking tarps and putting buoys at each corner to provide area fer mahi and such. As fer snaps, structure of any sort and pray you can catch 1 of them endangered species! You can catch em drifting/anchored or what not. Sometimes they'll boil the top w/ some good chumming!

As fer the license, I've been told as long as you come and go from the state your license is in is fine (federal water fishing). But don't know the exact rules...

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

If you are fishing or transporting fish through Florida, then you must have a FL license and the same for Alabama.

I have been personally boarded twice in the last 2 years, and neither time was near shore.
brianspy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in