New to area... local fishing resources... tips - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to area... local fishing resources... tips

Hello, I am a newbie to the group and to the area... visited many times with wife's family and love it...

Anyway, coming from NC with general pond fishing knowledge and a little salt/brackish water river fishing (Neuse and Pamlico Rivers near the Atlantic).

Would love links, books, tips, etc on what type rod and setup etc for shore, pier, and close offshore fishing in small boat. I don't really even know what type fish to expect at this point... so I feel like a total beginner.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks!
-cb
cb8892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

go in outcast or hotspots...and talk to them...both places are very knowledgeable and can help you more than books will
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I started fishing here about a year ago and have learned a lot about fishing here since then.

I started out fishing at the pier, I mainly targeted king fish. The main rig I would use for them is just a steel leader with a treble hook on the end, its pretty simple. I would use 20lb mono line too. I usually use a reel that can hold about 200yds of 20lb mono. A 7ft rod worked great for me.

With that setup I would buy frozen cigar minnows and hook them through the head. Then, I would go to the end of the pier and throw it out as far as possible and just let it drift.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

What type of fishing are you wanting to get into. Inshore, offshore, bottom, trolling, jigging and so on.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I'm not really sure if there is any nearshore wrecks in Pensecola (I fish out of Destin), but there probably is something.

Do you have a fishfinder? If you do you could probably get into some bottom fish and more kingfish.

Another thing you can do is troll duster rigs for king mackeral. I use pretty much the same exact setup as the pier rig, except you put on a duster rig tipped with live bait or frozen cigar minnows. You baisically troll about the end of the local pier's length off the beach, or at least thats how I do it. Do you have a GPS? You could probably get some coordinates to a nearshore wreck and troll over them with your duster rigs.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

thanks for the great replies so far.... keep em coming. i would be surf, pier or nearshore fishing on a fairly small rec boat for now... but would have a gps and depth finder. what about seasons? when most active/inactive there?
thanks again and sorry for the beginner questions...
cb
cb8892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
pier, setup, shore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in