Nearshore fishing/trolling - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Nearshore fishing/trolling

I have a 16ft bay boat and mostly fish for specks and reds but want to try a gulf trip for spanish, kings or really anything that wants to bite. Any advice about trolling or what baits to bring would be greatly appreciated. Have a couple medium spinning reels and 2 heavier spinning set ups.
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

From my limited experience, get you a couple dusters and some cigar minnows and head out!!! Troll them about 4-6 knots around the buoys and some nearshore wrecks.

Also try some trolled spoons. Anything really, go to bass pro and spend a paycheck on a bunch of stuff that looks like it would NEVER catch a fish, sure to get something.

That's how I do it!!

Ohhh don't forget to get some stretch 25s
Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Wallace1,

I started saltwater fishing 3 years ago and started out nearshore trolling. By all means not an expert but catch a lot of kings. I use a duster with cigars and recently started using stretch 25 with success. I usually headed out to the mile marker and head west towards the tanks and barge and make continuous turns around the wrecks. I had a lot of success at Miss Louise. I have used super heavy tackle (line) because I had no clue when I first started out! Have reduced tackle and have a lot of fun. But, your set up will suffice nicely. With that being said I have not caught a rod buster yet. Have read reports where anglers have got monster kings nearshore, always seems during Destin Fishing Rodeo timeframe. Good luck
MOJOE15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Snapper

thanks for the replies guys. what type of leader do you use on the stretchs?
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Duster comes pre-rigged (open package, attach bait)
Lures- light wire leader or 200lb mono leader
MOJOE15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Fish On!
Cigar Minnow

Buy a planar to get bait down and buy rigged cig minnows from Wal-Mart or any other big box and let her eat! 4-6 k is perfect speed. Drag some dusters to make noise and make sure u keep the rigged minnow froze until ready to use! They fall apart if they get warm! They come rigged with wire/hook! Always had fun with twin Down diggers and this spread for what little time I offshored! Never struck out on kings! The boat I was in was a 23 polar bay at the time! Carried down diggers to multiple other bigger boats the minnow did its job! It's possible and fun on the right days! You'll know which days u can and cannot very quickly! Tight lines!

P.S.- this is my cheap way to catch! There are and better ways that some of the others will help! My down rigged depths were staggered b/t 20 to 40'... deeper permitting!

Last edited by SPECtacle; 09-07-2013 at 03:14 AM.
SPECtacle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
Fish On!
Cigar Minnow

Default Correction

Rigged ballyhoo not cig minnows.... My bad
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Mingo

We catch a LOT of kings and you don't need to get complicated. Some diving plugs such as Mann's Stretch 25 and 30, Rapala X-Raps(my favorites), Mirrolures divers, etc. and go troll around buoys wrecks, etc. Rig them with about 3 feet of 40 lb. single strand wire with a haywire twist to a swivel and you are ready. You really don't need any more than 20 lb. test mono for your main line. It is easy, fun fishing that you can do no problem.

Last edited by Smitty81; 09-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty81 View Post
We catch a LOT of kings and you don't need to get complicated. Some diving plugs such as Mann's Stretch 25 and 30, Rapala X-Raps(my favorites), Mirrolures divers, etc. and go troll around buoys wrecks, etc. Rig them with about 3 feet of 40 lb. single strand wire with a haywire twist to a swivel and you are ready. You really don't need any more than 20 lb. test mono for your main line. It is easy, fun fishing that you can do no problem.
Agree with everything from the above post. Best thing to do is keep it simple. We have had a lot of luck with Rapala X Raps and Bomber CD25 and 30s. I would also run a Drone 3.5 inch spoon off a planar or a weight, they catch just about anything out there. Also run a small spoon or straw rig on the surface. Just look for bait schools, birds working, and/or any structure on your bottom machine. I would also keep one of the spinning rods rigged with a bucktail in case a cobia, etc cruises by on the surface.

You just have to get out there and get some experience because in the Gulf you never know what can show up.
Pinfish Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

cigs and pinfish
jandr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in