MACKEREL TROLLING - Please Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Fishing is fun
Mingo

Default MACKEREL TROLLING - Please Help

Looking to do some trolling for kings and Spanish tomorrow. I will be using a Gotcha for the Spanish and dusters with cigar minnows for the Kings. I need to know the following: about how far off the shoreline should I troll? At What depth should I troll? Do you set the hook like you normally would? Can the cigar minnows be previously frozen? Anything else I need to know, please tell me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
CCC
Grand Slam

Sedge I just started king fishing last year, and now it seems one of the easiest fish to catch. I usually troll with dusters and cigs about 800 yds off shore, but most recently had no success so I moved out about a mile or two and then I was in them. My luck has always been from 30 to 60' deep. As far as setting the hook I have never had to do so, except the last time we went out my wife hooked into a good one and fought it all the way back to the boat only to have all three hooks slip out as I was JUST ABOUT to gaff it. So now I plan on once I see there is a fish on, hit neutral and the minute he is not on a big run give it a couple good STOUT tugs to set the hooks. Good luck and post your reports !
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Fishing is fun
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
Sedge I just started king fishing last year, and now it seems one of the easiest fish to catch. I usually troll with dusters and cigs about 800 yds off shore, but most recently had no success so I moved out about a mile or two and then I was in them. My luck has always been from 30 to 60' deep. As far as setting the hook I have never had to do so, except the last time we went out my wife hooked into a good one and fought it all the way back to the boat only to have all three hooks slip out as I was JUST ABOUT to gaff it. So now I plan on once I see there is a fish on, hit neutral and the minute he is not on a big run give it a couple good STOUT tugs to set the hooks. Good luck and post your reports !
Thanks so much for the info. Look for my report tomorrow! But, can the cigs be previously frozen? No bait shops have live ones and catching bait isn't really an option tomorrow.
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
White Marlin

Frozen is fine try a stretch 25 or 30 and a big clark spoon on a planer or trolling weight
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Trigger

Highly recommend the clark spoon. Frozen is fine. If you want spanish troll just off the sandbar or in between the 1st and second sandbar using a king rig with no weight, the spanish will hit the cigars too. Use a weighted duster on your king rig or like cody d says use a stretch. you should have something on in 30 minutes or less once you get out of the pass.
IrishBlessing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
CCC
Grand Slam

As the guys said, frozen is all I use, irradescent weighted duster, 30 min or less, troll at just above idle speed, just past neutral and a little bump.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Mingo

if you don't have the down rigger things(don't know much about them any way)how do you get your bait or jig down to the deeper water?we have just but letting out line with two different size jigs on each pole and trolling from 4 to 10 mph.we start off slow and speed up till something bites and the run that speed till they stop biteing then start over.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuswon View Post
if you don't have the down rigger things(don't know much about them any way)how do you get your bait or jig down to the deeper water?we have just but letting out line with two different size jigs on each pole and trolling from 4 to 10 mph.we start off slow and speed up till something bites and the run that speed till they stop biteing then start over.
Planers or trolling weights
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
31' Ocean Master CC
Ruby Red Lip

I have had alot of success just trolling a pink or red diver on wire leader at about 7-9 mph. Good luck
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
Snapper

I like to troll a drone spoon behind a trolling weight. I also like the stretch 25. I do not use the wire leader on these as I find I get more bites and the kings usually strike the rear of the plug or spoon anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in