lucanus jigs - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default lucanus jigs

are lucanus jigs worth giving another try ?? i tryed em all last summer and didnt catch a thing ! and tips on how to fish them and what color ??
snapperhigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: lucanus jigs

I've tried them also without much luck. I'm thinking about putting some squid on the hook for scent and trying that. I'll let you know if it works.
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Snapper

Had more of the same. Even tried them off Key West last Spring with no luck. Did catch a bunch of sall trash fish when I put squid on them.
seacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Abuddy of mine used them 2 different days last summer and all we caught was bait. So I am swearing off of them. Not worth the money in my opinion.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Not worth my money
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Sailfish

Here we go. I for one love the lacanus jigs. But with that said I will tell you why. They catch fish when fished correctly. First the conditions need to be just right. Very little current 50# braid 30# leader in 190feet of water. And you have no choice but to change the size of hooks and also there leader length. The brown ones are deadly on scamp. but you only need a 2 feet lift. Back on the bottom for 5 to 10 second. You will have a lane snapper or scamp on. Don't use any type of bait. We also fished them 25 miles west of Key West on what we call the horn reef. We have no problem catching large red groupers up to 25# one after another. Groupers love the puff of sand and will go to that area......There's a few more things to be said about the way lacanus jigs need to be fishand I hope you don't give up on them. O no did I give away the catfish bait? Gene
Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Recess you recommend a 2 foot lift.. if you are fishing in 2-3' seas would the lift be in addition to the up and down motion of the boat?

what are you recommending for hook sizes,

I've got some on order.. birthday gift.. will let you all know how we did.
Reel Alimony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Here is my suggestion for the cost :Give a Lucanus "knock off " jiga try. These actuallyare what the Lucanus is modeled after. Overseeas this is the jig people use. I will be use the jig below in 150g (5oz.) this weekend out of Jacksonville. A well known Jig fisherman on another message board has used these with much success on Black seabassand Flounderand he suggested that they are would be Grouper candy if fished in the manner that Recess stated in the above post. I changed my hooks out on these also. The pic is of them before I changed the hooks. I put on a split ring on the bottom and a 6/0 Gamakatsu 4X stong hook. You can also put an assist hook on this Jig. I may play around with adding a strip of squid on the jig. My theory is that the little trash fish picking on the squid should peak the interest of Mr. Grouper to see what all the fuss is about! Hope this helps.

http://www.anglerscenter.com/lures_power_jig.htm
Attached Thumbnails
lucanus jigs-jigs-jpg  
fman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Sailfish

No You will lower and raise your pole to what your boat is doing. That's why I sugested 50# line down on the bottom. If the current is running fast do not let your line bow on you. Pull up and lower again the key is to feelyour bite.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Reel Alimony (2/16/2009)Recess you recommend a 2 foot lift.. if you are fishing in 2-3' seas would the lift be in addition to the up and down motion of the boat?

what are you recommending for hook sizes,

I've got some on order.. birthday gift.. will let you all know how we did.
We meant just pulling up the rod tip about 2 feet and dropping back to the bottom, you are exactly right in a sea it just picks up a little farther , the hooks from the 200 gram and larger lucanas jigs have larger hooks we started taking them off and putting them on the 110s and 75 grams, With all that said small ones work wonderful for scamp ,but dont take my word for it.

TIM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in