looking for some info on braided line - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default looking for some info on braided line

hey guys i am new to fishing with braided line and want to know what are the best knots to use and some of the tricks to useing it .any info would help me out greatly thanks for your help.
kelly usmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

This is my own personal opinion, so take it or leave it that is up to you. I HATE POWERPRO. To me it is garbage. The knots I use are uni for the actual attaching to spool, and a modified Albright for attaching leader. It slides thru guides better than a uni to uni because it is slimmer. What application are you looking to use it for?
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Roll Tider
White Marlin

Use it like you would regular line.. Remember, there is no stretch in braid, so every inch you move your rod tip, it pretty much moves an inch at the hook. This can effect your hook up ratio. As for knots, I use a palomar or uni knot. For joining braid to an fluorocarbon leader, use a uni-uni knot.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

George, don't hold back, what do you really think about it?

I have no problem with power pro but my 2 favorites are Tuf Line XP and Cortland Spectron.

I use a knot I made up for attaching straight to swivels and lures and attach it to mono or fluoro by doubling my braid with a bimini or australian braid and tying the mono with a no-name knot to the loop of the double. As slim as it gets and super strong.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I use Power Pro on all of my 12 reels; haven't had any issues with it at all. My limited experience with it has been favorable. When tying main line (braid) to leader (flourocarbon) without a swivel I use the double uni knot. Holds very well. When using a swivel, I attach the swivel to the main line using a palomar knot and then attach the leader to the swivel using an improved clinch knot. Hook to leader depends...sometimes a loop knot, sometimes an improved clich, sometimes a snell. Depends on the bait I'm using or the targeted fish. Key thing to remember, and as stated above, is that braid doesn't stretch or absorb shock at the strike. To overcome this, use flourocarbon leader, generally equal to, or greater than, the strength of your braided main line. (i.e. If using 20lb braid, use at least 20lb leader; 30lb preferable, etc.)
Lou Albiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Mingo

palomar - terminal
double uni - line/line

easy, works great... ;-)
lcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
This is my own personal opinion, so take it or leave it that is up to you. I HATE POWERPRO. To me it is garbage. The knots I use are uni for the actual attaching to spool, and a modified Albright for attaching leader. It slides thru guides better than a uni to uni because it is slimmer. What application are you looking to use it for?
My thoughts exactly. I despise Power Pro
Fish Happens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
George, don't hold back, what do you really think about it?

I have no problem with power pro but my 2 favorites are Tuf Line XP and Cortland Spectron.

I use a knot I made up for attaching straight to swivels and lures and attach it to mono or fluoro by doubling my braid with a bimini or australian braid and tying the mono with a no-name knot to the loop of the double. As slim as it gets and super strong.

Sorry, it has let me down one too many times. I have had many failures in many different size lines too. For me time is a premium and why would I even want to chance losing a decent fish due to line failure ( well documented on almost every forum I am on ) when I can use better line at little or no more cost to me. It is a no brainer.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Grand Slam

If it twists it's a royal pain. Use a good swivel. Stay as far away from other people fishing. Tangles and knots are usually hard to get out. Don't wrap it around your hand when stuck, it'll cut like a knife. KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE PROP! Sensitive, good to "feel" the soft bite. Can be expensive. Great for jigging. Just to name a few.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

thanks for all the info guys has any one ever tryed to make a two hook rig with it
kelly usmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in