Looking For Grouper - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 11-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Looking For Grouper

Looking for some help on where to get into some grouper. Is going out to the edge the place or are they starting to move in closer to some of the public numbers, not looking for any specific numbers just some areas to troll around and find some good bottom. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GatorDoc
GatorDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Looking For Grouper

what kind of boat are you running, range ,and most important electronics. All makes a big diffrence on where all of us can point you. TIM
Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Praedator
Grand Slam

About December to February they will be in closer in greater numbersaround some public spots. I got most of my grouper within 8 miles of the beach during that time from last year. They are starting to move in based on what I am seeing on my dives. But they are still very skittish and staying in their holes. And the number of them are not high right now yet.
Telum Pisces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Tim,

I am running a 20 foot Grady White with a Mercury200 hp motor. 80 gallon tank. Have a Garmin 305c GPS and Lowrance X96 fish finder. I was looking at possibly headin gout near Paradise Hole, The Edge, or even Green's Hole. Thanks for the help.

Ed
GatorDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Trigger

hey i fished paradise hole 3 times this summer and got 2 nice groupers. i guess just check that area out, now after it doesnt see so much pressure anymore.

good luck
rauber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Sailfish

Live bottom is where i would point you trysler grounds are from 16 to 25 miles most everything is live bottom around go to the mbt divers website for numbers for trysler #s put out some trolling plugs and watch you your bottom machine between #s just remember most live bottom areas dont mark up big , it is just lots of little spikes , that area is very much worth your time investigating. If there is one thing i have learned about fishing grouper in pensacola is that the bigger spots dont always hold the most fish.Live bottom areas are filled with what i call cheese bottom ,little holes in the sea floor that dont mark very well on a bottom machine but the live bottom gives it away usally.Put your time into looking around and it will greatly pay off.I hope this will help. Tim
Old 11-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Sailfish

P.S live bait is a must
Old 11-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Jim T's sworn enemy!
Sailfish

Are ya from another planet? Like ole Recess said,live bait is a must during the winter months. Preferably a squirrelfish but some white trout or even a big pinfish will work.
'73 McKee craft 14
PFF Redfish Regatta Trash Talkin Champion '07,'08,'10. Robbed in 2011! Unworthy in 2013
"Take a fish boating"
bonita dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
Sailfish

I like the area of the timberholes it is a good live bottom area .But with that said we have fished that area of the timberholes and thoughly i will say . We have scanned it over and have logged away 50-60 #s from there all which we have dropped livies, jigs, cut baits and with not much to show for it.maybe just not the right spot ,baits,tide etc. eveytime i have been there, there has been charter boats within sight and passing by all day. That tells me it gets alot of pressure, We are lucky to see 3 boats all day on the south end of the trylsers. Less pressure usally results in more quality fish. This is only a matter of opinion that i personlly have. Ijust havenever done very well at the timberholes. If you have a good # for there keep it . The only problem is 50 charter boats have them too.Im very confident that we have #sat the trylser groundsthat maybe a handful of people might have.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
Snapper

"you never know unless you go. "

I like that and oh so true!!!
Marine Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in