Line recommendation - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Line recommendation

While rebuilding the Searay, I accumulated a lot of tackle (I mean a lot). I have many spools of braid and a dozen or so 2 spd Omoto reels (bought them when I was going to sell tackle and fell in love with them. I am planning on putting 50# braid on 4 of the 22's (should hold 650 yds), 80# on 2 30's (825 yds). I have 2 small 12's that I have on a couple of 30# class rods. Back years ago when I fished offshore, I used mostly 30# mono (1 40# monel wire meat line). I can get just under 450 yds of 30# braid on the 12. If I go to 25# test it only adds about 50 yds. I expect to troll with the 22's, have the 30's around "just is case" (hooked into a big Blue once while deployed to Bermuda and would love to see another one). I have been reading a lot of posts and expect I'd keep the 2 small rigs inside the boat for tossing to in close sighted fish (will have some spinning rods too to toss farther out).
My question is, should 450 yds of 30# test be adequate for what I'm "planning" (hoping?). Back when I fished before, I was using 113H's with 30# mono and they served me well (just checked and looks like I was carrying 475 yds).
I expect if I want to try some fishing for Grouper, I'll need to go with the stouter setup. Maybe some real heavy line on a couple of my spare 22's?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I expect we'll start out within 20 miles or so of Perdido Pass and as confidence in the "rebuilt machine" increases, maybe venture farther if that's where they are hiding.

Getting ready to spool some reels.
Thanks
Wally

Last edited by GWally; 09-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Yes your line and capacity will be fine. It will be nice to see another oldie out there fishing hard.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Snapper

Thanks
Been lurking since I dragged the Searay down from New Jersey 3 years ago and now that I see "the light at the end of the tunnel", I'm hoping to get her in the water in the next few months.
Any thoughts on what to rig up for dragging Grouper up? I have no idea how much pull it takes to keep them out of the rocks.
Used to lose a bunch of tackle off Mayport at a place they called the "Hospital Ground". Standard comment was, whatever it was swam into one of the junk cars and rolled the window up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Grouper

Call me.
850-723-1274
[email protected]
24 Cape Horn "PRETTY TUFF"
Captain Mickey O'Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Default what line to use

I fish out of fort morgan and perdido.. boggy point. I use power pro braid. 65lb or 80lb according to reel size. The braid is so thin I feel much more comfortable when I have a big fish boatside dont worry about breakoffs. Its really personal preference. Even on my smaller reels I use 65lb braid its like 20lb mono. Out of perdido Youll probably need to go anywhere from20 to 30 miles out. Lots of natural bottom the further you go out. Its good to ask advice to get ideas but the bottom line is find what works for you. Good Luc k MIKE
G white is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Snapper

Thanks
I also prefer to stick with smaller stuff and will be trolling with the Omoto 22's. I don't have any 65 but, have a ton of 50 and 80 and will probably put 50 on. Years ago, I was satisfied with using 30 mono so it will be nice to have that extra security braid gives.
I've heard pros and cons of using braid for trolling and from what I've read, a lot of Captains prefer mono. Guess I'll just have to see how the braid works. I read about the stretch of mono being beneficial for trolling and braid criss crossing and cutting lines. If I ever get into a situation with so many fish on a once that they start doing that, I'll just hope one or 2 stay on and deal with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in