King rod & line question. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Mingo

Default King rod & line question.

Hey guys newby here. I just moved back to the area after 14 years and I am trying to get back in the game.

I recently purchased 4 reels and two rods to fish for kings. I bought two shimano kingfish rods Med-Hevey extra fast 7' TLC-70mhka If I understand correctly these rods are more for trolling live bait such as porgies. So for days with no live bait can these rods be used with a planner running cigarminos and a skirt or would it be best to buy a different type rod for my other two rigs? I thought I read somewhere it would be bad for these rods but not sure if that is true.

If true what rods would you guys suggest.

Also on the reels I was thinking or spooling them with braid and using a large 50 to 100 yrd topshot of mono. Would this be ok or would it better to run all mono. If I run all mono I can get about 340 yrds if braid with top shot more like 450.

Thanks Joe
SmokenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Grouper

Default kings

the rods will be fine and i would just use 20lb mono you will never need more than 2 lbs of drag on a king fish
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Sailfish

I am not familiar with the rods you have but I would follow their recomendation. As far as line goes. If you plan to catch some smokers, you are gonna need to have something that will hold up to their teeth. When targeting large kings I would recomend stranded wire leader. There is also a methode I saw recently where 3 hooks are linked together and ran through the bait fish. Seemed like a great idea. Kings have teeth like razors so mono is likely to get cut.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Mingo

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. I was planning to use 20 mono top shots the braid was more for increase line capacity. I will have wire leaders as well.

Is 340 enough or would it be better to have around 450 yrds?

Joe
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Roll Tider
White Marlin

Well, if you are in the boat trolling, don't forget about your ability to motor up and chase a big fish
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
old fart
Trigger

i just now got tld25 and matched trolling rods, use 30 lb triline with single strand wire about 40 lbs, and stretch 25,shimano told me these rods and rells will handle most everything. never used over 3/o for 30 years and only lost 2 or 3 fish, they never stopped
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
old fart
Trigger

last year one of my guest had on flip flops and fish came off and bit all 5 of his toes, when they start jumping around with a stretch25 look out, i use to take a club
sig226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Sailfish

I definitely would not waste the money on braided line for kings. Very little drag is needed and they don't take you into the wreck or rocks. 340 yards of 20lb. mono is plenty out of a boat. You can always chase the fish and catch up on line if needed but it takes a huge king to run out 340 yards of line. I would recommend 40lb. steel leader on clear days and 60lb. in the early mornings, late afternoon, and cloudy days.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Mingo

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback thats what I wanted to know.

Joe
Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Grouper

if you're in a boat you can always chase down the fish. i fish from a boat so i like to go as light as possible. i like to use a shimano stradic 4000 with 12-15lb mono and 40lb wire. have landed many kings up to 35lbs and have been no where near being spooled all you have to remember to do is take your time.
Tight Lines
85okhai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in