King in late April? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Snapper

Default King in late April?

Some folks I've taken fishing in the past are going down to Perdido Key in late April. They have asked if I'm interested in dragging my boat down and going out. I haven't fished much that time of year except for snapper and reds and, frankly, I catch enough reds just fooling around to satisfy my itch for them. I'm not interested in a trip to target them. That leaves king for a target species close offshore (these folks are not interested in going15 or more miles out and I don't have a tower).

With snapper closed and no tower on my li'l boat I'm not sure it's worth the trip. The water seems to be running a degree or so warmer coming up through the Yucatan Channel which should move a few kings into range, but the main migration comes up the west coast of Florida and that looks normally cool.

I'd appreciate any opinions / advice on whether anybody thinks kings will be in good numbers by the last weekend in April.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: King in late April?

From my experience, spring kings have a strong push right when the rigs hit the 68-70 degree mark! Last year they pushed in real strong starting out like the 25 mile mark! You should be able to ick them up along the shelf soon! I heard someone was catching some 40 lbers out at the lump on sunday.

Hell, two years agao, during Marchs spring break, I saw a huge king jump while we were looking for cobia!
LATERALINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

About late April the spanish and small kings should be moving in pretty good if the water gets above 70. Along the beach!
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Grouper

There will be some smokersright offthe beach in late April.
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Just my 2 cents - they get much easier as the summer progresses. April 20th - 1967 I remember catching the first king of the year off of the Gulf Shores pier. Awhile back yes - but global warming has not changed things that much. Spanish & boo-boos should be thick, kings - hereand there. It's been pretty cold this year.
fmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Mingo

I come down end of april the last 5 year and fish out of destin we pick up kings every year not even trying for the on flat line when bottom fishing.
seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Grouper

Got it from a good source that a 60# king was caught last week

on the east side of the river!!!!!!

George
Speckulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Sailfish

if you fish your normal snapper wrecks, try to catch some smaller live baits and throw them out on spinning tckle and let them swim while you're bottom fishing. you should pick up a few that way. if you want to target them, there are plenty of places to slow troll with livies. late pairl will produce quite a few kings. most people just dont target them with other available species.
facebook.com/BSTseptic
nb&twil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Sailfish

The larger kings will migrate just outside the sand bar from east to west during the latter part of April and first few weeks in May. They have always done this and I believe they are targeting all the spanish and blues that arecommon this time of year. IF you venture farther off shore it is not uncommon to catch school kings during that time of year unless we have had unusually cold weather. I would set up around 3 or 4 hundred yards from shore and fish live baits. You have a good chance of catching a cobia also.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
White Marlin

Starting in April, usually early to mid April I've never had a problem catching kings just outside the Destin pass no more than 3 miles out. I usually just pull up an area on the GPS with multiple artificial reefs within 3 miles of shore and start trolling over themusing the traditional king rig you can buy at Walmart with a cigar minnow added to it. This method works rather well over bridge rubble too. If you really want your guests to have fun use medium action spinning rodsetups. The water temperatureis currently 64, I don't seeany reason why it won't be in thelow 70's by mid to lateApril and that could bea low guess. High temps are supposed to be70 or better for the next few days, I think the real cold days are over and the water temp will slowly start to warm!
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in