King fishing trooling bait advise - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Gene
Mingo

Default King fishing trooling bait advise

Was hoping I could get a few tips on trooling for King or any other predatory fish in the Gulf outside the sand bars. Dead bait? What is the best colored bait "skirt" (don't really know the name of what I am talking about but it goes over your dead bait), big spoons etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. don't want tosped a loof oney on stuff that us useless! Thank you
MyTimeToPlay! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

First you will need to wait until the water reaches 70 degrees again. Then any slow trolled live bait will do. If you use dead bait use a silver/clear duster with a dead cig or strip of bait.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Professional bad ass
Snapper

spoons, jigfish, gotcha's, anything shiny with a treble hook and a wire leader will work only dead bait i've used trolling was cigs and they did pretty well
-WiRtH- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Trigger

Also try a planer rig with a duster and dead cigar minnow or a bass plug. Half hitch can give you the details...........Troll at about 4 knots...

If yo have live bait, toss it out and just bump along....less than one knot....Watch for birds and surface action......

Earlier, you can troll for spanish macs.....gotcha plug, spoons, whatever....troll a little faster............
redfish99999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Gene
Mingo

Thanks a lot! A question or two (my friends I go out with normally have everything we need so I know what I am looking at but not what it is called). What is the "silver/clear duster"? Is that what I am calling the "skirt" over the dead bait? And is a planer rig like a down rigger? I get the concept of it from the name but not how its used or mounted. And thanks a lot for the trolling speed advice. Live less than one half mile from half hitch (Navarre) so I'll stop by there. redfish99999, who should I talk to there? Anyone in particular? Thanks again and anything you or anyone else wants to add would be great!
MyTimeToPlay! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Mingo

Another suggestion, use xmas tree rigs. If you do not know what it is they usually have four or five tubes or staws with different colors. On the end you can attach a gotcha or spoon. I have had the best luck when they have gold hooks not silver. For some reason most tackle shops do not sell them, walmart does and so does west marine. You can troll for spanish and will also catch school king at the same time. Once the water hits 68-70 degrees they will be preety close to the beach, first or second sand bar, put your lines out before sunrise and fish until 9am close to shore. After that you will need to move further out, then troll stretch 25's or any kind of rattle trap or spoons. Also the xmas tree rigs are made from im guessing 80lb mono, so you will lose a few. In the past, if the fish are not biting I will tie a spoon pink or green back silver or gold to 30lb mono just the spoon itself. Again you will lose 3-4 or more or less but this may allow the fish to bite because of a lighter tackle.
CHICO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTimeToPlay! View Post
Thanks a lot! A question or two (my friends I go out with normally have everything we need so I know what I am looking at but not what it is called). What is the "silver/clear duster"? Is that what I am calling the "skirt" over the dead bait? And is a planer rig like a down rigger? I get the concept of it from the name but not how its used or mounted. And thanks a lot for the trolling speed advice. Live less than one half mile from half hitch (Navarre) so I'll stop by there. redfish99999, who should I talk to there? Anyone in particular? Thanks again and anything you or anyone else wants to add would be great!

http://www.edgeangling.com/Bomber-BSWGKRDUSTG.html

http://www.tackledirect.com/sea-stri...l-dusters.html

http://www.tackledirect.com/z-man-ez...irts-eztz.html

http://www.basspro.com/Boone-Dave-Wo...05707/-1450013

Last edited by lobsterman; 02-13-2011 at 04:31 PM.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in