King Fish - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default King Fish

Hey I am fishing in a tournament in carabelle in 3 weekends and it is called the big 4 offshore. I am fishing with some friends and we can catch king mackeral but, they are never usually a good size. I would say the average king we catch is 10-15 lbs, which by no means is a tournament winner. I am very familiar with trolling a dead cigar minnow with a duster and slow trolling live baits. So is there any tricks you guys use to catch the smoker; weather it is location, baits, best trolling speed.

Thanks,
Phillip
Renegade_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: King Fish

some very general suggestions - troll some hard tails around some structure in about 120-180' or so of water. If you've got downriggers troll one at 2/3 the depth the other at about 1/3 at about 3 knots- you should do fine.

Others on here will likely give you lots of more options wire sizes, ribbonfish, etc. Good luck
need2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Trigger

We usually can catch smokers between 30 and 45lbs around oil rigs out of fortmorgan.I dont no for shure if its where ur fishingthere are no big kings or your bait.At the close rigs we use the biggest bluerunners we can get and slow troll them.this will keep the small kings from bitting.
MissKristy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Snapper

I only know about two things that are supposed to catch bigger kings:

1. The mouths of rivers or creeks, especially on a falling tide (that one has worked for me).

2. Outside schooling fish either on the downcurrent side or under them (even schooling bonita - very, very slow, so you don't catch bonita) that one has workedfor meon bonitabut it's been years since I've seen schooling king.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Snapper

Biglive hardtails work well although I have occasionally caught large kingfish on cig & duster rigs. You are going to have to find some type of structurepreferrably in deeper water. Occasionally one will be caught along the beach but most smokers are out deeper. I would also look for any large schools of bait on the surface and troll around them -notice that I said around them. I see many people make the mistake of trolling through them.Many timeskings will hang on the outside looking to pick up aneasy target or sometimes hang deep to get leftovers from smaller fish working above.If you can find a good current rip, troll on the clean side of it. I've caught some decent fish doing that too. Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Trigger

either bump troll hardtails on your downriggers near rigs in 90 feet plus (as stated above). or, try drifting over wrecks and reefs while chumming the shit out of em witht the same downrigger setup. if we're at a rig that we know normally holds kings well hook up and get a really good slick going with freelined livies. if their are any in the area they'll make there presence know within 15 minutes. if not keep rig hoppin
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Sailfish

Anchor or slow troll around structure. Do not use any small baits. Use big hardtails, bonitas, bluefish, chicken dolphin.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Grouper

Phillip - start making phone calls to local bait and tackle stores in that area. Try to get local reports from thatregion.Check the water temps and color with online resources. Give Kingfishconnection.com a look. Choose big, frisky baits. Use downriggers and top water baits. Try running baits with skirts, naked, and double pogie rigs. Good luck!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for all of the help guys. I will try to get to deeper water but that is the problem with fishing out of Carabelle, they are not blessed like us. 35 miles offshore is about 80 ft of water so it will be harder to get deep. So i see that slow trolling live bait is definitely the preferred method and make sure we get some big baits for the weekend.

Thanks for the help guys,

Phillip
Renegade_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
Mingo

Sorry to derail this thread, but I have a question about one of these tips. Ok, well Im about to show my newness to this: If you slow troll a live bait, wont it be a dead bait pretty quick? I've fished off of the piers and put live hardtails out on ballons orfreelined and have trolled with dead cigs on dusters and with stretch 20's ect, but Ive never tryed to troll with a live bait. Doyou have totrollas slow as the boat goes inorder to keep it alive?Just wondering:looser

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in