Kids first offshore trip suggestions and advice? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Kids first offshore trip suggestions and advice?

Hey everyone! I’m looking for some advice on getting some young teenage boys on some big fish. We are from the Midwest and headed down to the Perdido Key area at the first of August. We are meeting a buddy who has a 26 foot Grady white. We’d like to get into some bottom fishing for grouper, AJ and snapper ( I know season will be out by then). We are also open doing some deep water drops. Looking at trying these kids a great first experience fishing saltwater. My buddy is comfortable and has gone off shore 35 miles or so giving the conditions are right. Looking for suggestions on locations to make this trip great! Thanks for all the advice!
ajmatthews1s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Grand Slam

hit bottom structure, you buddy should have numbers and a good idea of where to go, but live bottom should serve you well. hardest thing is to keep everyone entertained if the fishing is slow.... troll for a few Bonita and use them for bait. they seem to entertain folks pretty good...
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Sounds good man! The guy with the Boat is from the Midwest also and is new to the area so we are trying to figure some spots out as well. I remember when I was a kid trolling for bonito and having a blast, later learning they are only good for bait lol! Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Snapper

Trigger will be back open. Great eats.
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the tips. Are the public listings of various bottom structures worth a crap? I assume the close they are to shore the more they are hit? I have been looking at places like https://strikelines.com,https://fish...ATERSEAST.html and stuff like that. I assume the farther out and deeper spots will hold larger fish and possibly big AJ and grouper?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Just google anything about reefs and you'll get a ton of info. Here's one. https://myescambia.com/our-services/...tificial-reefs. Get lots of live bait. Chum if you can, and don't be afraid to bounce around a few spots. If your not familiar with some good deep drop numbers I wouldn't waste my time. Troll a little, chum, chunk and live bait. You'll keep the boys smiling and bring em home sleeping. Good Luck and be safe. I forgot, go out Pensacola Pass and don't dock in Alabama.

Last edited by lastcast; 07-09-2018 at 07:54 PM.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Good deal! Thanks for the tips andthat website is awesome. Out of curiosity why should we stay out of Alabama lol?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Just assumed Perdido Key is Fl. and Al. border is really close. Also I wouldn't try to go out the pass in Al. unless your familiar with it. If your fishing on state waters and cross the state line you have to pretty much prove you didn't stop. Boundary wars!
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in