Just starting - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Mingo

Send a message via Yahoo to Saltfisher
Default Just starting

I have a 23 ft center console with a 200hp that I use to fish inshore with in navarre. I would like to start doin a little bit of offshore, but am pretty much clueless on offshore fishing. what should I try to fish for that I don't have to go that far out and are easy to catch? I've done a couple of charter trips, but never tried it on my own. also what are some of the setups for these fish?
Saltfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
Apex
Sailfish

Default RE: Just starting

You could troll for Kings which can be accomplished using a variety of tactics. You can troll live and dead baits. Use steel leader and a treble hook. You could pull various lures but make sure to use the steel leader.

There plenty of public wrecks that you could bottom fish. You can use live bait, dead bait or you could jig for them. The bottom rig is a sinker on top of a swivel, mono leader, and a good circle hook. You can set out a king rod while your bottom fishing and generally hook a king.
God, grant that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast, I then most humbly pray: when in the Lord's great landing net, and peacefully asleep, that in His mercy I may be judged "as good enough to keep."
SouthernAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
Grouper

Cobia fishing never use to be done in boats with towers... Find some depth changes where the bottom rises up near the beach and anchor. CHUM and float some bait on the top and off the bottom as well.

Just an idea...
Chris Couture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Mingo

On the public wrecks, what all can you usually catch? Just snapper, trigger, AJs, and grouper, right?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

You can also catch kings and dolphin during the summer.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Mingo

yeah, I'd like to catch some dolphin. how far out do you usually have to go to find them?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

If the water stays clear you will be able to find schooliesabout 5 or so miles out. Look for floating debris.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Mingo

would anyone mind tellin me some of the better wrecks and other places to get some grouper and/or AJs? I might be going this weekend, and i will deffinatly be goin the weekend after this one. and is it worth chumming when bottom fishing?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Snapper

I'm from Alabama and don't know any numbers for Pensacola, but you should definitely chum when bottom fishing. You should also learn to make wire leaders and set out flat lines with cigar minnows or something similar when anchored and bottom fishing (the instructions for a haywire twist are on the back of a Malin pack, just be sure you bend BOTH wires). You'll pick up a fair number of king and dolphin.

Here are some public number sites for your area I had bookmarked. I know nothing about how good or up-to-date they are, but FWIW.

http://www.co.escambia.fl.us/departm...icialReefs.php

<U>http://www.mbtdivers.com/</U>
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
White Marlin

To me the easiest fish to catch offshoreis dolphin. I usually start to see them at about 100'. The best way to catch a bunch is to run and gun not troll. Get someone on board who has good eyes and go full blast until you see birds. Then before you get to them have a guy on the front of the boat with a big spinning rod with a 2" long cut piece of cut bait. A big bag of sardines or unrigged ballyhoo is usually what I use. Make sure to bring more than one bag b/c it goes quick if your in the fish. Once the guy at the front of the boat is in casting range of the dolphin put the boat into neutral and he should cast. just let the bait sink (just a hook no weight) until he gets a bight. The captain should always keep track of the birds incase the cast was unsuccessful. If no fish is caught go back to the birds and try again. If you do hook up set the hook get the line tight thenput that rod in a rod holder then repeat with all available rods ALLWAYS keeping a fish in the water so the others dont leave. You should also have small peices of bait to throw into the water to entice the fish to stay more. Once I am hooked up I turn the engine off and just catch as many as passable. Sometimes the schoolies have 1 or 2 big boys with them deep. I have had success throwing the chopped bait to one side of the boat drawing the fish to that side then taking a peace of cut bait with a weight to the opposite side casting and letting it sink about 50' under the schoolies for the big one. Sometimes it's hard to keep their attention to the opposite side so give the little guys alot of chum to keep them occupied. Make sure you have alot of bait b/c it will go quick. If you do run out you can cut a piece of belly from a caught fish and use it. Last year I ran out of bait and we still had a bunch of fish under us so I caught about 6 off of the ham sandwiches we had. Good luck!
Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in