Jiggin for Deepwater Grouper - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Jiggin for Deepwater Grouper

Has anyone tried it? We are thinking of putting together a trip out of Indian Pass since everything else is closed. My buddy has some electric reels, but I'd like to try jiggin for them if its possible. I've seen a youtube video of some guys jigging Snowys in NC (I think?) . He's talking about fishing 300-600ft, which I've never done before even electric gear. What would I need? I've been wanting to put together a heavier jiggin setup than I have now and am looking a trinidad 40n. Would that work with a 300-400 gram rod? What size and type of jigs would you use? Do you need the fancy ones or will cheaper AJ jigs work? Thanks!
JT

* I heard Recess is the man with plan on this forum*
The Business is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Grouper

the trinidad setup will be fine, whatever jigs you use make sure they have some glow to em. its dark down there. get em heavy to beat the current down, i always just use slow bumps off the bottom for grouper, you'll find out pretty quick if they are hungry or not. good luck!
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Talk to Recess on the gcfc, he isnt on here anymore. They have any info you need.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

There are plenty of people who can help you with this.

Use 30-50lb braid on a rod suitable for jigging with 8-14oz jigs, for me its a 5'9" 400gram rod. I use both metal jigs and bucktails. My favorite jig is a Shimano Flat side jig in glow/chart in 12 oz or a 11oz Roscoe jig (all roscoe's glow). A high speed retrieve reel works best and cuts fight time down. Pulling a big snowy or golden tile in from 700+ft requires a good pace. Snowy's feel like dead weight for the most part while tiles will fight you all the way up. Don't be surprised if you get some big blackfin in the process, we have caught them at 700ft down while deep dropping. You don't really need to jig as much as hit bottom and drift occasionally letting line out again to feel bottom again.

Hope this helps
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks Fellas that really helps!
The Business is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
There are plenty of people who can help you with this.

Use 30-50lb braid on a rod suitable for jigging with 8-14oz jigs, for me its a 5'9" 400gram rod. I use both metal jigs and bucktails. My favorite jig is a Shimano Flat side jig in glow/chart in 12 oz or a 11oz Roscoe jig (all roscoe's glow). A high speed retrieve reel works best and cuts fight time down. Pulling a big snowy or golden tile in from 700+ft requires a good pace. Snowy's feel like dead weight for the most part while tiles will fight you all the way up. Don't be surprised if you get some big blackfin in the process, we have caught them at 700ft down while deep dropping. You don't really need to jig as much as hit bottom and drift occasionally letting line out again to feel bottom again.

Hope this helps
Great post Chris. Thank you for the info.
Robbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in