Are High-Dollar Bottom Combos Worth It? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree7Likes

Old 07-31-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Are High-Dollar Bottom Combos Worth It?

I have fished Penn 4/0s with 80-100lbs braid combo'd with a stout but cheap rods, (think Penn Slammer). They are my work-horse combos, catching anything from Trigger and Mingo, to Grouper and AJs.

I was thinking about trying something a little fancier. Is it worth checking out, or would I be spending money on a luxury that I don't need?

If so, what combos should I check out? I'm wanting versatility, but my primary focus would be to target grouper/AJs with it.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link

Last edited by iJabo; 07-31-2019 at 12:15 AM.
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 03:14 AM   #2
Sailfish

MHO, If it's working for you why change? It's not the equipment that catches the fish..... i remember people on here who went out and caught 8 pound snappers on barbie poles. have ocean master (Keith) service your reels and put some carbon tech drags in it.
cody&ryand, jack2 and kiefersdad like this.
kahala boy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
Mingo

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

---Dad
fishinbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Snapper

Certainly not needed but smooth drags, lighter weight, 2 speeds, and much more comfortable handles are certainly nice to have. I like smaller reels packed with braid.
Walton County is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

Just like anything else in life... cars, boats, guns, whatever...

They all get it done, but some get it done quicker, more efficiently, and in style...

Worth, is in the eye of the person paying for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
Snapper

I used to use all penn 4/0 and 6/0. Use higher priced gear now and have a hard time using the penn 4/0s I own. If you are fishing shallower waters than it probably doesn't matter as much. We fish 200 plus ft a lot and the higher priced reels with quicker retrieve and overall smoothness help throughout the course of a day.
sail7seas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Snapper

I bought a used penn torgue and the retrieve is way too fast. Everyone (even me and I've been fishing for nearly 40 years) reels the swivel and rigs up through the guides. I prefer the senators. Most of my bottom fishing is under 120' of water though (most in under 80 for snapper with kids)
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahala boy View Post
MHO, If it's working for you why change? It's not the equipment that catches the fish..... i remember people on here who went out and caught 8 pound snappers on barbie poles. have ocean master (Keith) service your reels and put some carbon tech drags in it.
Youíre not wrong. Iím just thinking if we can make things a little easier, why not try that? Keith has upgraded all of my reels, I know he loves the older Senators like what I have. They are due for another servicing though.
kahala boy likes this.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
Snapper

Probably been more grouper and snapper caught on 4/0s than the next dozen competitors. I've got fancy and I've got plain. They both catch fish. For things like vertical jigging a high speed lightweight rig is the ticket. For bouncing 8 ounces of lead in a hundred feet of water, take your pick.
While we're on the high speed reel thing, a pet peeve of mine is watching people crank up small fish off the bottom as fast as they can, blowing 'em up and greatly limiting their chance of survival.
LazyK likes this.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
Sailfish

my pieces of shit fall apart every time i go fishing. just last sunday i lost a guide that the last time i used it the damn thing caught two 30lb bft. just ask some of my fishing buddies. i still help fill the fish box.
true story: i had an old penn 6/0 rod with a fish winch. the captain says damn jack you bringing a knife to a gun fight. the results are my avatar.

jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in