help from the pros - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default help from the pros

I am going to the edge tomorrow for the first time. The my friend I am going with has been there a couple of times and he says that weshouldn't anchor just drift over the rocks or wreck when its that deep. I have been out to the basic wrecks and bridge ruble that is 80 to 90 feet but never anything deeper. I have 400' of rope and and windless.Providing currents and wind is not to strong should we anchor or not.

Thanks for the help
upsurf29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: help from the pros

I always drift it because if you hang an anchor you will loose the anchor and 300' of line also.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Sailfish

Edit: Re-wording...

Ifyou plan on fishing a large/long area of structure, then I'd say Drift. If you're drifting pretty fast and/or you're on a smaller area, I'd say anchor.

I don't know how deep you want to anchor, so I can'tspeculate whether you have enough rope or not.

Good luck.
reelfinatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Sailfish

you dont have enough rope to anchore at the edge.(3X the depth is what you should have to hold right) But to get right on the spot with the amount of rope you would need out would be difficult. You are much better to drift the area you want to fish. Good luck out there.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Snapper

I won't ever anchor. Just hold up on the psots with the motors. That way you 1)get to fish a better portion of the structure, 2)if they are not biting there you don not have to waste time pulling hundreds of feet of anchore line, and finally 3) you can use the boat to pull bigger fish off of the wrecks/rocks, thus asisting the angler.
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Sailfish

I anchor everywhere I go, I even anchored yesterday on a small spot in 370ft of water. I don't have twin engines to help hold up and me being the captain I'm not going to drive the boat all day while others fish so I anchor. It takes a little practice but once you get good at it you should hit your spot most every time. Wedrift fish only when the wind and current are very slow and you can keep your lines straight up and down. I'm a big believer in making the fish bite and you cant do that if your bait is flying past them, instead you only catch the aggresive fish (which can be a good thing if the bite is on fire that day).
Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Sailfish

I have fished the edge for over 30 years and I always anchor. 400 ft. of rope would be cutting it close unless there was no wind and no current. This time of year with the absence of wahoo, dolphin, kings, cobia, etc.... then probably holding over the structure would be just as good or better. I just like to anchor and chum and it has worked extremely well for us over the years.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Sailfish

Get a delta anchor a rig it break away style , we almost always anchor . unless you have somebody that doesnt like to fish and have them drive the boat all day. In my opinion anchor down on a nice rock a start with squid and cut baits to get things going down there even if you are not perfectly on the spot the fish will leave there home to check out whats going on plus it put the larger fish at a disadvantage they leave there safety to grab a bite to eat which give you another few seconds to get them up. drifting means the fish will be sitting in there rock and can grab a bait at take it to the house alot faster in some cases. but i agree drifting can help getting fish out also by using the boat. In conclusion you can fish a fly line also from an anchored boat which give you chances at wahoo ,kings, blackfins, cobia[not this time of year] , and who knows what else. congrats and i hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Trigger

Send a message via MSN to duckhuntinsailor Send a message via Yahoo to duckhuntinsailor

In the end it just depends on what works. I had 400' ft of line, and never had problems anchoring 21' Cape Horn in depths up to 280' (I had about 20' of some heavy chain). I've done both, but if OceanMan (Matt) says he usually anchors, then I would, he's usually pretty lucky.
duckhuntinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

I've got a 26' Shamrock single engine inboard. It's TOUGH to hold on a spot, and unless the current and wind is slow it's a pain to drift in water 180' deep.

I modified my anchor so it will always come free if stuck. I drilled a hole in the plate at the bottomof the anchor and run my chain to that hole and attach it to that hole with a shackle. Then I use a couple heavy duty cable ties to attach an anchor chain link at the top of the anchor where the shackle normally attaches. That way, if the anchor gets stuck, the cable ties break, the anchor line then pulls from the bottom of the anchor and it always pulls free.

I've never lost an anchor with this setup, but I've bent the crap out of a couple anchor shafts for some reason or another. Most of the time I've been able to bend it back near straight, at least useable.

I'll try to take a picture or two of my setup in the next couple of days.

My boat has 25' of chain... that's alot but I use an anchor ball and windless to retrieve. I can normally anchor in 180' of water with 300' of rope and 25' of chain. Though I've got 600' of line aboard. My boat is 26' and weighs nearly 7000# fully loaded.

An anchor ball retrieval system is the best thing in the world... but whatever you do NEVER EVER tie off your anchor line to the stern of your boat to try to pull it free. Your asking the sea gods to swamp your boat when the anchor is REALLY stuck.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in