Help in Orange Beach? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Help in Orange Beach?

I'm a long time lurker of PFF and have read everything I can to learn more about saltwater fishing around Orange Beach. I take my wife and young kids to OB every year from Colorado for family vacation and we have done well by trial and error on the inshore fishing. My kids are almost 10 and 7 and love to fish. We have chartered 2 offshore snapper trips but now have a boat/gear and are ready to give it a try on our own. Almost all of my experience is with freshwater.

Would anyone be willing to help get my kids on some of your endangered snapper the first 2 weeks of June? I have all the public numbers but am quite frankly overwhelmed on where to start and have no idea what these numbers hold for fish, if any. I would be forever grateful if someone had a few numbers where I could take my kids 2-4 times this June to catch snapper. Numbers will not be shared and I'm glad to supply some pics with smiling kids and red snapper. We're only in OB 2 weeks out of the year.

If anyone needs information on hunting in Colorado I'd be glad to help as bowhunting is my passion. I'm just trying to figure out this saltwater fishing stuff and having a blast with my kids. Any help is appreciated for this saltwater newbie.

Thank You.
cowhitey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Snapper

There are plenty of snaps on the public numbers, live bait is better than dead (IMO) but dead will work. You can get them around docks and pilings or get you a trap, if you find a fish cleaning station with a carcass box in the water then you should be able to get all the pinfish you need, tip your sabiki with squid or shrimp else you wont get much.

By a Hiltons chart, Sam's or J&M have them and pick some spots you feel ok running to, they will be crowded but there are fish on them.

I use 8/0 circle hooks on a Carolina rig, 6-10 weight depending on current, 4-6' leader of mono, flouro isn't necessary for snapper, as you drift or troll keep an eye on your bottom machine and you will find some spots.

The tanks over to the West have fish on them and they aren't too far from OB.

Bottom line is you don't need private numbers to catch a mess of Snapper, just need to get out there, good look.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

If you get time, stop by our store when you get in town and I'll get you on the right track.

Sam's
251-981-4245
27122 Canal Rd
Orange Beach, Al 36561
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

and I also live in Orange Beach and have a boat and have numbers. I would allow you to tag along with the wife and I sometime, you can anchor up beside us and catch away,,,

Ms Penny Outdoors Team

Yamaha Master Tech
Mercury Certified Tech

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Contender, Chris V and Sequoiha thanks for the replies. I appreciate the willingness to help.

Contender- Thanks for the tips, very helpful.

Chris V- We've been to Sam's a lot in the past. Great store. We'll come in to see you when we get there June 1 or 2. We'll need some gear/tackle too. I appreciate your help.

Sequoiha- That's a great offer!! Once we get settled in I may take you up.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Trigger

We will be down there the first week of June. Me, my wife and two of my kids 12 and 8. You could go with us one day, then take it from there. I've had a lot of help from people in Colorado, mule deer and elk hunting, would not mind returning the favor. Just send me a message if interested.

P.S. the people who have replied are really good people for info.

Straycat
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for everyone's help. Chris it was nice to meet you and thanks for all the advice. We haven't had any problems catching fish until the kids arms are tired. Lots of helpful fisherman around our condo also. Great time.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Squid technician
Grand Slam

It was good to meet you too and I'm glad ya'll had a great trip! Hope to see you again next time
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in