Help me pick gear for nearshore fishing... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Question Help me pick gear for nearshore fishing...

Hello all! Just joined the forum and want to start out by saying this looks like a great site for us in the area...lotts of good info!

We bought a boat a few months ago (HydraSports 202DC) and have kept it in the bays for fishing untill I got confortable enough with it to get out into the gulf, but Im getting close and have made a couple of ventures out the pass...but just barely.

We are looking at upgrading/buying a couple more poles/rods for nearshore fishing and would like to hear what yall have to say...

Currently we only have one cheapo Bass Pro (angler) Combo for the wife and i have a Penn Feirce 6000, both are spinning. We dont really have a "target" fish we are looking to catch....just want to pull stuff in and have fun, but being able to real in a cobia would be great. Obviously budget is a concern so please help me look at bang for the buck type/style combo's

Thanks
wileel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Red Solo Kayak
Sailfish

You dont need $$$ expensive reels/rods to catch quality fish. What you have now are good starts, the Fierce reels stand up to their names. Super quality if you take care of them but like all others will begin to deteriorate after a year or so. Mine has a good bit of salt rash on the body but it doesnt affect the function.

Im a a shimano guy, my wallet however is not. So i have a big collection of shimanos, penns, diawas, avets and a Release Reels brand conventional. Watch Academys weekly sales, they recently had a sale on their Penn 750ssm and 850ssm on slammer rods for under $100 each. They also had a sale on their smaller Penn battles for $70 with Rod.

Best bang for your buck would be to stick with what you have no. be on the look out at the Penn Sargus, Battle or SS series combos as theyre GREAT starters. and the SS series will almost last forever with maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
Headed to the nipple.... if she says yes..... I'll probably just get the elbow though.
MrPhoShiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhoShiz View Post
You dont need $$$ expensive reels/rods to catch quality fish. What you have now are good starts, the Fierce reels stand up to their names. Super quality if you take care of them but like all others will begin to deteriorate after a year or so. Mine has a good bit of salt rash on the body but it doesnt affect the function.

Im a a shimano guy, my wallet however is not. So i have a big collection of shimanos, penns, diawas, avets and a Release Reels brand conventional. Watch Academys weekly sales, they recently had a sale on their Penn 750ssm and 850ssm on slammer rods for under $100 each. They also had a sale on their smaller Penn battles for $70 with Rod.

Best bang for your buck would be to stick with what you have no. be on the look out at the Penn Sargus, Battle or SS series combos as theyre GREAT starters. and the SS series will almost last forever with maintenance.

all great info. i have a fierce 5000 and i love it. use it for everything from my yak to the surf. I know they aren't as cheap as the fierce but if you don't got anything against daiwa look at there BG line of reels. I have a BG60 that is pretty old but that thing fishes without fail. i believe they are all right around $100 bucks in the bass pro catalog.
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Sailfish

You've got some great suggestions here. I'd throw in the Penn 550 SSg. If I could only have one reel around $100 for multiple applications, that's where I'd land. A close second would be the Shimano Sahara. As the SSg's become less available, I'd probably replace it with the 4500 SSV.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Great! Iver been trolling the forums and it sounds like must folks are recomending conventional or baitcast reels, like the Senator or one of the compacts. My wife is familiar with that style from saltwater fishing when she was younger, and I think she would prefer that style...any input?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileel View Post
Great! Iver been trolling the forums and it sounds like must folks are recomending conventional or baitcast reels, like the Senator or one of the compacts. My wife is familiar with that style from saltwater fishing when she was younger, and I think she would prefer that style...any input?
Academy sells the H2O express baitcast reels(model name is mettle I believe) which are supposed to be very smooth and stand up to the saltwater. Even better is that they are ~50$ or 25$ if you catch them on sale. Since H2O express is also Academy's brand they will replace it for free
BirdNest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Ok, I just realized I have a way of getting Abu Garcia stuff for stupid discounts so will most likely will be going that route. Thinking about the winch series in low profile or Ambasadeur series (7000i, C3, ect... reely leaning towards a 7000i combo). Any experience with their stuff or recomendations?

Last edited by wileel; 09-21-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Grouper

Penn Battle all the way. I have three. Inshore, Nearshore and Offshore reel. All of shimano rods. They have lasted me two years now without messing up with thousands of casts a piece. Plus they look good.
NOsaints is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in