Help caughting good bait? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Help caughting good bait?

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on catching cigar minnows, we usually catch plenty of ruby red lips when we're on the wrecks, and i usually catch some hardtails and bonito once we're out with a gotcha lure. but i would like to have a few live cigs in the well in case another big 3' dolphin swims by, or just to put out on a balloon for king. Any suggestion? Sabikis? and if so whats the best way to weight those and present them to schooling bait w/o scaring everything down.

Thanks
J rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Snapper

You can stop by any of the marker bouys on the way out if the current is not running to fast.Lots of butter beans,cigs and the very crazy moodfish with some treadfins. Use a dehooker taking them off you rig. They will stay alive alot longer. # 11 and 13 is your best bet. Just try and stay out of the main channel. If you work them to the east there should be no problem with other boats leaving and returning. Owner makes a good rig and a oz. will do it most times. Good luck. Gene
user6993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Snapper

Thanks, i'm going to give it a shot I would like to have a few in the boat when we get to where we're goin. Do you fish straight down, and How deep???
J rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

What Gene said. If the crazy fish and threadfin herring are thick you may have to add another ounce or so to the sabiki since the 2 of those can make an epic disaster of a sabiki. The bait schools will also stack outside the channel on the beaches in the mornings. Just look for them up top or watch your depth finder. They will mark up as large "clouds"
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Mingo

ive had plenty of luck with the cigs after the pass in around 15-20ft of water. if you look to ur left there should be a watchout station at fort pickens and shortly right after that is where i fish. i just drop a sabiki and work it directly at the bottom or cast not to far from my boat. i noticed they will start moving to the bottom of the boat after about 5 minutes of being there. i guess they are taking shelter from spanishs
le4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in