Help Bottom Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Help Bottom Fishing

I'm new to trying to anchor up on a spot and bottom fishing. I was having a lot of issues last weekend and headed back down this weekend with a plan. My problem last weekend was mainly due the strong currents. I tried to figure out which way the current was moving and would try to anchor and drift on to the spot. By the time my anchor dug in and rope got tight I didn't know if I was on it or not. I tried marking the spot with small marker and the current drug it off. My plan for next week is to tie a rope to a 5lb mushroom anchor with just enough rope to get to the surface. Then tie a big balloon to the top of the rope. This will surely hold and it will give me a good idea of which way the current is going and let me practice dropping the anchor and and drifting back onto the spot. Is this a good idea or overkill?

Next question... Bait, I was using squid and only caught a mangrove or lane snapper. Should I try to catch pin fish for bait? I'm only a few miles off shore in about 40ft of water.

Next.... Chum, would it be a good idea to tie a chum bag to the 5lb anchor and send it down? or use one on the surface? If so, should I just by a frozen block of chum?

Next... I saw big schools of fish swimming near the surface. I think they were spade. How can you get them to bite and are they good to eat?
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

http://www.americanbandit.com/cart/i...d24464ea8c3bd2
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Try Cigar minnows

Yes you can chum, mix chum in wet sand and send it down.

Use shrimp pieces to catch spade fish.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Mingo

Wirelessly posted

Once you get the buoy to hold through a can out right beside it then wait a few seconds till it starts drifting back then through another then pull up current on buoy and cans at least 3-4 times depth if water line cans and buoy up and throw anchor out if the anchor slips past buoy follow process over but further up current if you don't hit the mark you can tie the anchor rode on the opposite side of the boat to the direction you want to go and current will swing you in just don't tie rode past half way of your boat will swing you backwards the further down you tie the further it will swing you have plenty of rode
Steel Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Grouper

Great system there. Thanks... and I'm going to order one of those bouys.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Sailfish

Here's how I do it. Put your GPS to track your route when you get on a spot. Motor real slow to the spot and knock it out of gear and let it drift for a little while. Do it agian and it will give you the direction of the current. Now that you know the direction, motor about 200 feet in front of where you want to be and drop your anchor and start throwing the line out faster than the drift can catch it. When you get close to where you want to anchor, tighten up the line and the anchor will dig in and then you can scope out a little more to get back farther. The amount of line and distance to start will vary with depth but for 40' those are good numbers. Always scope minimum 3x depth.

Bait wise, try using a sabiki and seeing what is down there for bait and use it to catch.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Sailfish

What kinda boat? If u can hit some live bottom its much easier to fish. A good drift or two find the fish then mark the gps, by this time you should have completed the 2 drfts sniper talked about, caught 3or 4 fish and then anchor if u must. We usually just drift unless its real calm that anchor can beat u death if its rough.
capt'n slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Grouper

I have a 22ft bay boat so I limited to where I can go and feel comfortable. I'm thinking if can get close I can cast around to find a sweet spot if I'm not sharing the spot.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
Never seen these before. Are they good markers??
smann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smann316 View Post
Never seen these before. Are they good markers??
We bought one at Sports Authority and it works great! Marks the spot, shows the current direction, and makes anchoring way easier. I would recommend these to anyone.
deersniper270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in