Grouper reel? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree5Likes
Unread 07-01-2019, 01:23 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Grouper reel?

So I’m looking to buy a good grouper/AJ reel. I’ve decided I want a 2 speed lever drag reel and just wondering what reel people suggest? I want to be able to catch big grouper and AJs around 60lbs. What reel would you suggest and what size braid and how much drag do you usually use? I’m leaning towards a penn trq30ld2 but also looked at avet HX Raptor and Talica 16. Any and all input would be appreciated
Sbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
Trigger

Default 1

I use a Avet HX 5/2-MC Raptor and it handles anything that i hook and i catch a lot of grouper.
kylo1597 likes this.
CPD67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
RSD
Mingo

A new Okuma andros 16 ii on the hull truth $300 . Great reel I own one and use it for tuna . Also loaded with Jerry brown and a top shot
Ocean Master likes this.
RSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Snapper

I've got an Avet JX that has slayed some real giants but the gears in Shimanos are definitely smoother. I like 80-100# braid for big grouper. The smaller diameter the better for cutting through current.
Unread 07-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD67 View Post
I use a Avet HX 5/2-MC Raptor and it handles anything that i hook and i catch a lot of grouper.

This. Super light and heavy duty reels. I have the same. Pair with a bent butt or 30* rod holder with straight butt. Game on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPD67 likes this.

www.benthicoceansports.com

-Kyle
kylo1597 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
Snapper

This is a question that always gets a million different answers and some people get their panties in a wad because they disagree with somebody else's opinion. Here's my .02...
Penn senators (US made) have been getting the job done for bottom fishing and trolling forever. I've caught 40-60 lb gags and 60+ lb amberjack with 4/0 senators with beefed up drags and SS gears. I've caught the same with 6/0 senators. I suggest hitting up Keith (OceanMaster) on here and asking him if he has a beefed up senator for sale and go with that. He can gut whatever you have as well and maximize its potential.
Rig with 100lb braid and 100lb mono top shot. Power handle is a nice accessory for more torque. Your rod is just as big a factor...pair it with a nice heavy rod, but with some bend to it. I used to only use broomsticks but I actually prefer a little more bend to my rods now. I usually get custom built ones, but the star plasma and paraflex stand up rods are awesome off the shelf rods.
I only use lever drags for deep dropping (yes I hand crank) as the 2 speed is nice for reeling up when it's time to move or to check bait, and for trolling because it's easier to adjust drag and nice to have high speed when a fish turns towards the boat.
Pics below are all with senators and the 1 pic shows the bend in the rod I prefer nowadays...
Attached Thumbnails
Grouper reel?-51999_1562008023984-jpg   Grouper reel?-64564_1562008044315-jpg   Grouper reel?-20170601_110827_1562008270726-jpg   Grouper reel?-51993_1562008332276-jpg  
cody&ryand likes this.
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

I wonder how a 20K Saragossa reel would do on those groupers?
Unread 07-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-Dude View Post
I have caught a small herd on a 12/16k. I do not believe I have used a 20k. The issues I have had have been with the rods. When your jigging, a Extra Heavy rod seldom seems to turn them initially like a similarly sized conventional rod.

I really do not like a lever drag reel for bottom fishing. I like a star drag. That being said, a Talica ii 12 or 16 will get it done smoothly. While I prefer a smaller reel, when digging a bigger reel can be a bit easier to hold onto.
Walton County is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-Dude View Post
I've personally never tried using a spinning reel bottom fishing, but never really had the desire either. To me they just dont seem like a good choice, as a conventional reel is designed like a winch and seems sturdier for the bigger fish, and I've yet to have a problem with the reels I mentioned. I'm sure someone will step in about the spinning reels, but I honestly have no experience with them...if it ain't broke, dont fix it.
Shark Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for all the reply’s guys. I’m thinking about going with the avet LX or HX
Sbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in