grouper fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default grouper fishing

What are the main differences between catching grouper and other reef fish? Snapper seem to be easy but the grouper are a little harder to learn how to find.
Lyin Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Sailfish

you got that rite, i catch occsional red grouper, but thats about it on grouper for me!!? i will be listening for help?? GG
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Trigger

In my limited experience, Gag's are on the bottom near wrecks, hit live bait better, but it's getting harder to get through the snapper to get to them.

Red grouper prefer live bottom & dead bait better. Scamp need water 180' or better & like little 3-4" pinfish.

However, it seems where I fish in the Gulf the snapper fishing get's better every year & the grouper fishing is getting worse. Just my 2 cents.
Michael f sights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Snapper

Add me to the list, I can't catch them either. That being said I never tried to do anything different than I do for snapper. The other advice above is pretty good from what I've heard from others.
Naby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Fish deeper (180 or better) and use large live baits or huge butterflied dead baits. Keep it on the bottom.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Trigger

snapper are more aggressive, overpopulating, running off the grouper... huge to need to harvest the snapper to balance fish populations
younghooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

From a divers look at it, I see alot of grouper out in the sand away from the actual wreck. At one point this past weekend I could count 20-30 gags about 30-50' from the wreck hanging out in the sand. They wouldn't let me get close enough for me to shoot. Don't get me wrong, they are in the wrecks too, but they are quick to get out in the sand away from the wreck if they get spooked. BTW, all the dives from this weekend, 8 drops total, were done in less than 100' of water. Gags were on every spot out of Panama City.

Stephen

Last edited by toobad4u; 07-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.
toobad4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Use the biggest live baits you can get ahold of, fish in at least 150' in the summer, winter the grouper move in and I've caught them on the bridge and jetties when its cold. I personally like to drift large areas of live bottom in 200 plus, I like to use pinfish at least 4-5 inches if not bigger. Most of the best baits you aren't legally allowed to use. Also, grouper don't chew, they suck the bait in hole so getting pressure on a fish rite when you hook up is important, you want to use heavy line and reel like hell. Sometimes it's better to fish off the wreck a little and let them come to your bait, catching a big one out of his hole can be very hard.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobad4u View Post
From a divers look at it, I see alot of grouper out in the sand away from the actual wreck. At one point this past weekend I could count 20-30 gags about 30-50' from the wreck hanging out in the sand. They wouldn't let me get close enough for me to shoot. Don't get me wrong, they are in the wrecks too, but they are quick to get out in the sand away from the wreck if they get spooked. BTW, all the dives from this weekend, 8 drops total, were done in less than 100' of water. Gags were on every spot out of Panama City.

Stephen
Thanks for that perspective.
Naby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

That's the main reason I drift fish, catch all kinds of stuff off the wrecks and even find more structure occasionally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in