gray triggerfish recreational season - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 10-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Snapper

Default gray triggerfish recreational season

Good job NOAA
y'all are right on target. Close dem triggers! I caught my five triggers already this year anyway (wonder how they knew I caught them). Lucky me, recently I was boarded by two armed FWC officers (two more on their boat) and my boat searched. I was 24 miles out in the GOM. They are just lucky that got to me before I decided to do a drive by shooting or put a 13 5/8 inch trigger fish in the box.
Why don't y'all take that new 32 ft center console with a pair of 300 hp yammies down in the hood. Y'all might find some poaching going on down there. After all, I had two nice married couples on the boat on a virgin fishing trip. I reckon they could have been considered armed and dangerous criminals.

When is enough gonna be enough????

Below is a NOAA Fisheries Southeast Fishery Bulletin announcing the closure of gray triggerfish recreational season in the Gulf of Mexico.

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN

Recreational Harvest of Gray Triggerfish in the Gulf of Mexico Federal Waters to Close

The recreational harvest of gray triggerfish in the Gulf of Mexico federal waters will close on October 15, 2013, at 12:01 a.m., local time. NOAA Fisheries projects the 2013 gray triggerfish recreational annual catch target of 217,100 pounds has been harvested. This closure will be effective through the end of the current fishing year, December 31, 2013.

During the closure:
  • <LI style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" class=li7>Recreational harvest or possession of gray triggerfish is prohibited.
  • The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a valid Gulf of Mexico reef fish charter/headboat permit.
This closure is necessary to protect the gray triggerfish fishery. This population is considered overfished (the population is too low) and is undergoing overfishing (too many are being caught each year).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
White Marlin

Was this a cat hull that pulled you over w/maybe 5 officers?

Same thing here but it was 36' cat steel hull, 4 FWC and 1 Federal Officer, armed 35 miles out, 2 boarded me searched my cabin too but was very polite while doing so. Gave me a warning ticket for expired flares.

No biggie, just doing their job!

Iffin you going out there expect it, sucks about the triggers tho!

Jimmy

Last edited by jjam; 10-04-2013 at 11:12 PM.
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Team Jack 'Em Up
Snapper

At least we can still catch 'em within those 9 miles
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Grand Slam

When is enough gonna be enough???? You ASK.

When people like you and I are completley out of the way. There is money to be made from the Gulf and our government believes that money should be there's.

Sucks but it will keep getting worse.

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

JoeyWelch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
Snapper

Yea that was the cat just guessed at 32 ft. they really run up on me hard, kinda pissed me off. had a hard time keeping them from bumping my boat.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Team Jack 'Em Up
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw1972 View Post

When people like you and I are completley out of the way. There is money to be made from the Gulf and our government believes that money should be there's.

You're right on the money Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
Yea that was the cat just guessed at 32 ft. they really run up on me hard, kinda pissed me off. had a hard time keeping them from bumping my boat.
And if you think that was bad, you should have been with my cousin and I on the little 176 CC Key West in the pass when the coast guard stopped us in their big 45' RB-M (Response Boat Medium). Seriously, no joke. I knew we had everything to pass any inspection they wanted to dish out, but it was quite funny seeing that big of a boat pulling up to us for a vessel inspection. Obvious why they done it though and let countless other boats pass through the area at the same time - they saw two younger guys (23 and 15 years old) and thought "I bet they're missing something"...to their surprise we weren't

Last edited by Mike W; 10-05-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw1972 View Post

Joey you couldn't have said it better.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in