GPS/FF Combo Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default GPS/FF Combo Help

I am looking to put some electronics on a 25 cc with twin outboards. The boat will be used mainly to bottom fish, so an easy to use GPS function is important - mainly for inputting new waypoints (computer based) and an accurate easy to use sounder function is important as well.

I am looking to spend around $2500 - $3,000 on a flush mount unit would like a 7 - 10 inch screeen.

I would also appreciate comment on thru hull vs transome mount transducers. I am leaning toward the thru hull.

Thanks for your help.
wjbrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

I've been happy with my Lowrance HDS-7, though I wish I'd splurged on the 8 or 10" screen when I bought it. The skimmer transducers have been a little fragile and I will be replacing the current one with a through-hull tilted array unit when my current skimmer breaks off (I'm on the second or third one in just over two years).

I just added the side-scanning sonar a week ago (Paradise Marine did a nice job on the install) but haven't yet learned how to use it. The page refresh rates did get slower once the side-scanner was installed... I've heard that the Humminbird systems don't have this problem but I haven't seen one in person to know if that's true.

Hope this helps.
sullivan504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Fabricator
Grouper

Check out this bad-boy by SIMRAD, it is nice..http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Produ...ad-NSE8-NSE12/

The number in the model number is the screen size. Also, they are going to be around the budget you want to spend, and are well worth the investment I think.
Starlifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Mingo

I have a Garmin 5212 with a 1 kw thru hull and I am vey happy with it. Get on the internet and you can get it in that price range. Maybe try BOE Marine.
Sean Summers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Snapper

Put your money into the transducer and you will be happy.I have the thru hull at 1 kw also and have been really pleased with it. I can run 30 mph and read the bottom with the thru hull. I could never go very fast with my transom mounted transducer. I can also read bottom for deep dropping. I have been over 1000 feet and can read bottom.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Grouper

Last time I was in West Marine on Barrancas they had an Raymarine E120W in their sale cart for $1699. I would imagine it was their demo. Add a GPS Antenna, DSM 300 and and Airmar 1kw thru hull and you'll have a pretty sweet setup right at or maybe a little over your budget that you can add things like radar and an autopilot on to later and not have to add another display

Their are a few on here that will tell you to stay away from Raymarine, but I haven't had any negative experience and am pretty pleased.

And the 1kw thru hull is the only way to go IMO.
CootCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Trigger

Whatever you choose, go with the 1000w transducer. I'd also suggest a DSM and a heading compass. Remember that at the end of the day, the screen is only a graphic representation of the components. So put your money in good components.
Boondocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Grouper

I've used Lowrance and Raymarine. I had the HDS 10 but now have the e127. The both have there perks. Thru hull if you can.
my3nme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootCommander View Post
Last time I was in West Marine on Barrancas they had an Raymarine E120W in their sale cart for $1699. I would imagine it was their demo. Add a GPS Antenna, DSM 300 and and Airmar 1kw thru hull and you'll have a pretty sweet setup right at or maybe a little over your budget that you can add things like radar and an autopilot on to later and not have to add another display

Their are a few on here that will tell you to stay away from Raymarine, but I haven't had any negative experience and am pretty pleased.

And the 1kw thru hull is the only way to go IMO.
That's what I have on my boat and it has been excellent over the past 3 years. No problems.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Snapper

I put a Garmin 5212 on my boat last winter and couldn't be happier. Was a little hesitant about the touch screen but am sold on it now. If you go that route, spend the extra few bucks on the gsd24 sound paired with a good >= 1k xducer.
Lil' Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in