Good starter trips, new to area - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-13-2017, 02:50 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Good starter trips, new to area

So my buddies and I recently acquired a 35' everglades and are keeping it in destin. Most of our fishing experience is in bay boats inshore fishing in Louisiana and state water snapper trips to the rigs.

That being said now we are in a whole new ballgame with ability to basically do whatever we want. We thought we would try starting out bottom fishing and work our way to trolling. Any information at all doesn't matter what it is will be super helpful.

What kinds of rigging we should be fishing would be helpful too and even though I don't believe we will be tackling outriggers just yet any info on how we should setup the taco 18' riggers would be helpful.

Even a sample first few trips on what y'all think we should do this time of year would be light years ahead of where we are. This boat came together much faster than we expected and we weren't ready fishing knowledge wise.

We have Hilton and are beginning to dial our understanding of that a little more but any tips on that are greatly appreciated as well

To ease the minds we have all the necessary safety equipment: radar, epirb, sat phone, unsinkable boat lol (whatever that means), vhf.
Timmayy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Sailfish

You are going to get frustrated trying to learn the fishery on your own. I believe most successful fisherman have had someone teach them the area and tactics and then honed their skills from there.

I would say it would be money well spent to take 1 or 2 charters on a boat that specializes in tuna fishing/overnight trips. You could also hire a local captain that can provide a plethora of knowledge about the area.

I have no affiliation with any charters, just my advice.
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Best thing you can do is hire Capt Delynn and have him run your boat for you a few times. The amount of knowledge you will gain on a couple trips will be more than you would learn in a year by yourself. He stays booked up for a reason. ChrisV would also be a great choice but not sure if he would travel that far. You can search for both of them on here.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
Snapper

See my post in the charter section. I booked a trip with Capt Delynn today so I can learn how to fish the area. Had an AWESOME trip!!
Bluecape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Trigger

First off you'll be real happy with the everglades. Great boat. If you want shoot me a message with your phone number and we'll talk fishing. I do a lot of bottom fishing out of destin and may be able to help you
dsaito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I would love to private message the captain and you but for some reason it's telling me I can't. I'll post up my email if it's not against the rules. Like I said any info would be super helpful.
Thanks guys!
Timmayy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
Trigger

I don't believe it's against the rules. You can email me at [email protected]
dsaito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
White Marlin

you don't have enough posts to PM Either hire a captain, take some experienced people with you or go with someone experienced on their boat. If you have some extra money, a captain is an excellent choice. You may want to wait for hiring one until you have some real time experience off shore. You will understand more and will know what to ask. I don't fish Destin otherwise I would offer to take you out. Bottom fishing is relative easy. Know how to read fish finder and GPS. Have some public numbers. Know how to make a drop rig and what bait to use for what fish. Also know how and where to catch bait Have fun
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in