Good jigging setup for ajs - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Good jigging setup for ajs

Will a shimano spheres 8000 do the job
Fishing flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

If you already have one, sure. You are a little limited on the amount of braid you can throw on an 8000 though. You might want to look at the 14000. I know that a lot of guys will get the 14000 then upgrade the handle and drag system. Makes for a pretty nice reel with a ton of drag and a nice line retrieval rating.

Or, and i'll prob get blasted for this, you could look into the Battle 8000. The difference in money pays for the braid and you can put a lot more line on the Battle.

Last edited by Kenton; 07-30-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Trigger

Shimano Saragosa 18000 is a great jigging reel. Heavy drag similar to it's "high class" cousin Stella, but for 1/3 the price.
Big Perm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Grouper

I've been using 8000's and 10000's with good results but haven't caught an AJ over #30 yet. I greased the drags and use 50-65lb braid. If you fish heavy structure then I recommend the 14-18000 reels with more drag. So far I've whooped AJs easy at the edge with the smaller shimanos. You can upgrade the handles but it's not a big deal if you don't.
Xpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Kim
Blue Marlin

Screwed this one up!

Last edited by Kim; 07-31-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Kim
Blue Marlin

I had a few small reel big AJ episodes a couple weeks back. I was fishing for snapper (back when season was open) using a Stella 5K mounted on a Shimano Tiralejo TRS76M rod. That is a awesome Snapper combo. Anyway I free lined a big bait knowing a big sow would inhale it and I bowed up with a big fish. Had a great time listening to the drag sing got the fish in and it was longer than our handy measuring strip on the baitwell (40 - 42 inches). Released that one, moved to another spot a short distance away and put out another bait. Bowed up again on another AJ. This one gave the 5 K Stella a real work out playing give and take with the line. Got it to the boat and was happy to get a few wraps of that leader around my hand, used the ARC bill fish dehooker to set that one free, it was bigger than the first one. Moved again again to another spot a short distance away and put out another free swimming bait. Bowed up again but with a big fish this time, 50 lb braid way going out with a screaming drag. No choice but to crank down on the drag and chase the fish. I ended up with the drag maxed out at 28 lbs, my best friend was calling me a girly man because he had to chase the fish down for me. Finally thought that the fish was subdued and was getting it close to the boat. I should have eased off the drag when I gained most of the line back but in the excitement I forgot. About the time the AJ saw the boat it went ballistic and snapped the rod just above the line stripper eye. I don't recommend fishing for big AJ with a short rod that has no flex what so ever. By the time I was able to get a leader wrap I was happy to just cut it loose and call it a day.

If I would have been fishing a wreck I probably would have lost the second and third AJs because they would have made it to the structure. I'm looking for some after market spools for the Stella 5K that would give me more line capacity. It was exciting having big fish on a small set up and I want to do it some more but I'd prefer to have more line capacity first.

Just a FYI for you. Last two times I've hooked into AJ's I was beat down after the third one. 60 years old isn't really old but I just don't have the fishing stamina that I had just five years ago. I'm not going to loose sleep over it as long as I can get at least one in. When I start needing help with the first one I'll have to stop at the Walmart and buy me some pink girly man skivvies.

Last edited by Kim; 07-31-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Mingo

Thanx for the help
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Mingo

Can I upgrade the drag and the handle on the spheros 8000
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing flip View Post
Can I upgrade the drag and the handle on the spheros 8000
if it's a Spheros FB then you already have decent carbon drag washers. you can either put Cal's grease on them or get carbontex washers and also add the grease. there are some handle upgrades on ebay. just search around. i only upgraded the knobs on mine.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Grouper

Kim, Jigging Master makes spools for the Stellas but not sure if they make one for a 5000.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in