Free ride for advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Free ride for advice

I finally took the boat out to the nipple Saturday. I've been gradually venturing further and further out to make sure my boat was sound since it's a 95 model. It's done well and I decided to go for it.

Boat ran great but the fishing was terrible. I've been researching and learning all I can for months. Most of what I've learned was about baits and trolling techniques. I got the outriggers, all the recommended lures, trolling speeds and thought I was set and just had to get to the spot.. WRONG.. Man, I got out there and instantly realized I don't know jack.. I go to these places people have recommended like Yellow Gravel, Nipple, and so on, I put all my expensive ass lures on these insanely overpriced outriggers and troll over the spots then nothing... so now what? Do I troll in circles all day around the spot or what.. And let's not forget that I'm not a rich man so it took a lot for me to dump all this cash into my fishing gear to get no fish..

I came back Saturday a little discouraged and just about threw my new reels against the boat.. I'm calm now and think I need to take someone more experienced with me next time...

As soon as the weather looks good I'd like to make another trip. I'll cover all fuel, bait, beer, food, ect. My boat is 21' Cape Horn, not new but in good shape. If any experienced fishermen would like to take a trip with me please let me know. I have all the lures that have been recommended plus some that just looked like they might work.. I would like to target Mahi and wahoo ect. All I need is someone to show me the ropes.. I live in Daphne and usually launch out of Orange Beach.

Any takers?

Thanks.
Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Free ride for advice

head to the nipple, from there plot a course to the elbow....put your spread out and follow it.look for color changes, weeds, debris, anything out of the ordinary and troll around it....stop and toss a spinning rod with a ballyhoo around it. bluewater fishing isn't like bottom fishing, you aren't gonna pull up and drop baits and catch an assortment of fish, you have to search for them because they move around. anymore questions feel free to PM me
biggamefishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
White Marlin

i'm sure you'll get some takers and make some new friends at the same time as well as start catching fish...don't be to discouraged...it'll happen...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Don't get discouarged, some days the fish JUST DON'T BITE.

One thing though. When you are trolling troll along a ridge. Watch the bottom machine for peaks. You may not catch a fish that day but may gain 20 new fishing spots which may pay off the next time.

I would take 20 new spots over one fish anyways.

Understand about being disappointed though. We all have had it happen to us.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Sailfish

yup, it happens...but the WORST day of fishing still beats work!!!
hebegb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Trigger

Yeah, the highlight of the day was running across a tied line that had tons of seaweed and trash. Troll for about 5 miles with nothing. I thought I was on the right track because I saw a couple huge ass charter boats trolling the same line but after a couple hours I headed to the dock.

Thanks for the advice and I'll be in touch...
Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Jim T's sworn enemy!
Sailfish

FREE BEER! :letsdrinkI'm your man then sir. Seriously though,like Josh said when you see a weedline or other flotsom,troll by it then if nothing hits turn around and toss some bait out into it. May take a little bit of time but something usually shows up on the surface or within sight to determine if life exists on it. I'm probably headed to Orange bch. either over the weekend or next week to get my Al. license and if ya fish weekends i'll take a ride and pass along any knowledge that might help get ya in the right direction. Oh yea,I like big wahoo!
'73 McKee craft 14
PFF Redfish Regatta Trash Talkin Champion '07,'08,'10. Robbed in 2011! Unworthy in 2013
"Take a fish boating"
bonita dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
Mingo

Jarhead,

Like the others have said, dont get discouraged. the trolling game is very hit or miss. There is alot of water out there and you can be in the wrong spot by a mile or 100 miles. IF you are in bad water all the fancy lures in the world will not help you.

The only thing I can add is dont be afraid to make a move. With your boat you could easily pick up the lures and run 20 miles looking for bait weeds or clean water. In the end you need to be fishing where the fish are. After a while you will develop a hunch as to where the water or fish might be but even the best out there pull all day with no results.

I think your offer to take someone from here is a good idea. Alternatively, see if you can ride with them.
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Grouper

It will take some time. However, if you move to shorter plugs and add ballyhoo in behind them That always seems to help.
Heller High Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
Snapper

just go troll that all you have to do. you put a lure out there they will bite it. i dont care what anybody says this lure works better than that one. Its b/c they pull that lure more than they do the other one. You put in the time they will come. Just keep your speed around 6-7 knots this speed has always worked good for me.
Midnight Run is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in