flourocarbon or mono, does it really make that big a difference - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default flourocarbon or mono, does it really make that big a difference

Well I am sitting in N. Alabama wishing it was warmer and I was fishing. And so I start looking at what I will need this spring. I usually use mono leader for trolling and bottom fishing but I read where flouro is suppose to be less visible than mono. So, my question is, does it really make a big difference and is it worth the extra cost? Or is it just personal preference? I usually use about a 50# mono leader for bottom fishing w/ 80 # braid line, and50# mono leader with 20-30# mono trolling (except for king). Both ways with about 8' of leader. Does this sound reasonable?

thanks for any help in advance,

Greg
GregBR549 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: flourocarbon or mono, does it really make that big a difference

Sometimes when Snapper get lockjaw I use fluoro, but a Grouper could give a hoot less. So my take is it will depend on what you are targeting.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
White Marlin

80-130lb mono for grouper and AJs. 30lb flouro for snapper. 10-20lb flouro for inshore species or in the surf
biggamefishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Trigger

I agree with previous post depends on target species. Any snapper(red,mangrove) I use fluoro, I use braided line with fluoro leaderwith any lure I fish i.e. casting jigs to cobia, jigging tuna, ajs, grouper and topwater poppers. I use mono with bottom rigs for ajs and grouper.

Last year the mangrove snapper wouldn't hit unless you used light fluoro and small hooksthey get finicky sometimes. Many times a larger fish won't hit large fluoro i.e. 60-100# test and I scale back until I get better quality fish especially snapper.

So yes fluoro makes a huge difference with certain species.
ateupwitit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Trigger

flouro all the way all the time, no question
OBsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Hey OB do you realize how many fish were caught over the years, before the use of fluoro? I have caught grouper on wire so it is over kill and too darn expensive.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Sailfish

Flourocarbon is less visible and more durable. I use it sometimes.
true-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Sailfish

Flouro all the time every where, knots dont slip, more abrasive , less memory . Dont leave it to chance if the fish can see the leader. Go invisable all the time.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Mono has been around longer than I have. First was braid...and millions of sportsmen caught fish. Then along came mono and even more fish were caught. Now comes along flouro and we always have this discussion as to which is better, is it worth the cost difference. Well with the cost of EVERYTHING we buy to fish with...is flouro really that much more? My best (largest) catch was a 9.9' shark with not wire but flouro....would of mono stayed the course? I don't know, so that is why I buy flouro...I don't want to question myself with...If I'd had flouro on instead of mono, would it of made any difference? I don't know, I don't really care I just do it.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Grouper

The OLE fishing line.. I personally will not spend the money on flouro-carbon. Benn fishing before with my friend . He likes flouro ,Ilike mono. Many times we have fished side side with both. The flouro has yet to out fish the mono. We only fish offshore. We have caught some big sharks on mono many 10footers while grouper fishing. Circle hook will get em in tyhe side of the mouth 99% of the time. For the most part it is a matter of personal perference.. I think flouoro chaffs more easily than mono. Just my opinion.. Line is like anything else. Find what works for you. The mono quits cacthing fish for me then I'll try something else.Like Isaid I mainly fish offshore. Hope this helps you out. Many different responses , matter of what works for you.
Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in