fishing the I-10 rubble - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default fishing the I-10 rubble

I hear by the grapevine that the Florida marine folks are being lenient on red snapper catches on the I-10 rubble and the adjacent bridge rubble, although it is slightly more than 9 miles off the Florida coastline. Anyone know the scoop? Thanks.
04031940 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: fishing the I-10 rubble

I wouldn't do it on dark nights either. I saw "the man" at Sherman Cove loading up some pretty expensive night vision equipment one evening to look for just that type of violation. If your gonna do it. Do it during the day where you can see them coming at least.:banghead
KingMe!!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks. It is silly though. You go out and you can't catch other fish for the red snapper and no matter how gentle you treat them, a porpoise/dolphin gets them or they stand a chance of death from their hook injury. I can't believe that the populations around the artificial reefs in Alabama and Florida weren't measured properly. I called about getting on one of those boards and was told you have to know the governor of your state very well. I didn't retire to kiss up to a governor.

I will stick to black snapper, amberjack, etc. I appreciate the comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Grouper

Agree with 04031940, we went out before snapper season opened to the Liberty Ship and caught 10-15 red snapper and when we threw them back in this dolphin that was hanging out was eating them up. It was probably the best meal he ever ate and we didn't even get a tip!

Ted
ted-hurst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Mingo

Not sure who told you that, but I would hate for you or anyone else to think they are being "lenient". I have beenfishing and out there running around quite a bit lately, the FWC is out there in full force and they are keeping a very close eye on the 9 mile line. There are plenty of other spots where you can go in state waters that have plenty of fish on them. I just wanted you to know, you should expect to get checked;have your ducks in a row and your boat shipshape..

:usaflag
Capt. Bob Quarles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Capt. Bob Quarles (9/11/2008)Not sure who told you that, but I would hate for you or anyone else to think they are being "lenient". I have beenfishing and out there running around quite a bit lately, the FWC is out there in full force and they are keeping a very close eye on the 9 mile line. There are plenty of other spots where you can go in state waters that have plenty of fish on them. I just wanted you to know, you should expect to get checked;have your ducks in a row and your boat shipshape..

I was followed outside of the 9 mile mark two weeks ago. They checked me and they went on aboutbusiness saying they were checking all boats they could find in federal waters for Snapper. So they are out there checking for snapper in Federal waters.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Telum Piscis (9/11/2008)
Quote:
Capt. Bob Quarles (9/11/2008)Not sure who told you that, but I would hate for you or anyone else to think they are being "lenient". I have beenfishing and out there running around quite a bit lately, the FWC is out there in full force and they are keeping a very close eye on the 9 mile line. There are plenty of other spots where you can go in state waters that have plenty of fish on them. I just wanted you to know, you should expect to get checked;have your ducks in a row and your boat shipshape..

I was followed outside of the 9 mile mark two weeks ago. I saw a boat (could not see that it was FWC)on the horizon behind me on the way to my spot. They slowed and letme anchor and start fishing before they came up to me. They checked me and they went on aboutbusiness saying they were checking all boats they could find in federal waters for Snapper. So they are out there checking for snapper in federal waters.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I have all my required equipment plus. Old mother nature can get rough quick, so I load up on safety stuff.

I hoped that the rumor I heard wasn't true. If there is a rule [even idling in a no wake zone] it ought to be enforced in a uniform manner.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Ok. Now I have to ask a real newbie question as I was also stopped the other day about 6 miles out and I started to think about this after they left. I know the rule is 9 miles, but is there a "magic line" or is it that you are within 9 miles from the nearest shore?
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
White Marlin

9 miles from the nearest shore, also be sure that you don't catch snapper in state waters and then venture into federal....they will bust your ass in a hurry.
biggamefishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in