First trip to the Mass - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie
Default First trip to the Mass

Hey guys I think (weather pending) I am going to try and take my first trip to the Mass this weekend.

I plan to troll the pass some for kings and maybe see if I can get some snapper, Trigger, grouper etc..off the mass.

However I dont have a GPS (so not asking for #'s) but I know from what ive read that the Mass can be tricky because the bouy isnt marking it well and that the wreck is shallow and at time visable (I dont want to hit it)

So if anyone can offer suggestions on what to look for and where to fish once I get out there I would really appreciate it.

Would also like suggestions on bait, tactics, etc.. for targeting kings and grouper I havent caught either of those two yet so all new to me.

Thanks in advance

Mike
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: First trip to the Mass

The bout is at least 100 yards away from the mass. Its redicoulus.

Be very careful. Sometimes, part of the tourant is sticking out of the water, or you can see waves breaking over it. But there is another area that is only a few feet underwater on the east end of it.

A good GPS is really a good thing for it, but you can look for the other boats, and birds, and approach the area with EXTREME caution once you locate it...and get a feel for it. It is pretty much north of the bouy.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Grand Slam

If you don't have a GPS you will have a hard time finding it. As of last week the Mass buoy had moved from the previous storms and is about 300 yards further west than before the storms. With that said the Mass buoy never was on the wreck but about 100 yards to the South of it. If you go out on a weekend there should be boats on it. The gun turret on the south end of the wreck is only about a foot below the water level and will do a lot of damage if someone hits it as it's made up of 4" armor plating and it will not budge if hit. So far I beleive three or four big boats have ran into it some have sunk and the Entertainer a 60 some foot charter Boatwas severly damaged a few years ago. Get a small handheld GPS or be very careful. The numbers for the turret are:

30 17.797 87 18.72<TABLE dir=ltr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=168 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%" height=16><P align=left></TD><TD width="50%" height=16><P align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Sailfish

Thanks Clay and Sealark.. Yes I agree a GPS would be great if I wasent broke (after gas, bait, etc.)

I have plans to get one just no luck yet... If i can sell some of the stuff postedin the FS section thats what i am buying hell I would even trade for one..

Course Im not set on the Mass just know that it is close in and I have never hadthis boat offshore... so trying to take baby steps.

If you can suggest somewhere else close in I might have luck I am all ears.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

What size boat is it? Because the 3 barges.....well...never mind. I was gonna say are only 3 mile off shore, and I have about 10 chunks of em at least marked in my GPS, but you would need a GPS to find it.

Dang man...you gotta get one!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Sailfish

I know Clay I know.. my boat is a 19' CC flat bottom skiff..

I am thinking of selling my SKS and getting a GPS since i would obviously use the GPS more.
- George Washington
Old 10-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

I here ya....I have an SKS too a russian made one.....but only prob with selling a gun is it takes you years to replace it....cuz wife will always finf a better use for the money, and say "you never shoot them things, what do you need a nother for"

You know even a cheap handheld GPS would work.

I had that 18 foot bay boat with a 90 horse on it. and I have been to the 3 barges, tex edwards, and 5 of us jumped in and went all the way down the the Navare pier before.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Sailfish

I hear ya clay.. If I could find one that wasent the price of a new one I would probably jump all over it.

and I know what ya mean about the guns.. but its sitting in my closet collecting dust and my family is frustrated when we go fish and come home empty handed.

So I figure if I sell the SKS and use the money to "put us on fish" I can argue that the money we saved on groceries will replace my gun.

- George Washington
Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Now thats thinkin smart!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Sailfish

Ofcourse you do realize I blame you for all this right clay?... you and all your " Look what I caught at the Mass posts":doh LOL

j/k you guys have gotten some nice fish and my wife keeps saying " why cant we go do that?"
- George Washington

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in