First Post with Newbie Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default First Post with Newbie Questions

Hey guys, first post but been browsing for a while now. Decided to go ahead and make it official and become a member!!! Anyways, a little background, wife finally broke down and said we could get an offshore boat for this summer. Probably center console around 20'-24' depending on price. Starting to put together my fishing setups and wanted some input from the more experienced fishermen. I've just got my eye on a couple of reels but was just wondering about line size, hook size, favorite knots (not trying to start a war) for targeting specific species. I will mainly be targeting snapper, grouper, and amberjack with some trolling mixed in. I would also like to do some inshore/nearshore fishing for reds/tripletails/sheepies so my young niece and nephew can have something to catch (myself also). Here is what I am thinking about starting with.

Penn 750ssm on 7'MH rod (line size/braid or mono/hook size) mainly for amberjack or casting to cobia and other topwater fish. (If it is not possible to do both of these types of fishing with this setup. let me know. Again, I'm new to setting up)

Shimano TLD25 on 5'-6" of 6'-0" boat rod (line size/braid or mono/hook size) for snapper/grouper/amberjack and most of my trolling.

Been trying to buy a couple Penn 4/0's on eBay but keep losing them at the last minute

How about a decent lighter setup for the inshore/nearshore? Maybe something to catch some hardtails before heading out????

Any other essentials I would need for the boat, chime in. (i.e. gaffs, sinkers, anything....)

Thanks in advance for all the help.
cowboyup_iii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
White Marlin

Get over to the Outcast sale NOW and save some big $$ and get good advice!
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
d-a
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyup_iii View Post
Hey guys, first post but been browsing for a while now. Decided to go ahead and make it official and become a member!!! Anyways, a little background, wife finally broke down and said we could get an offshore boat for this summer. Probably center console around 20'-24' depending on price. Starting to put together my fishing setups and wanted some input from the more experienced fishermen. I've just got my eye on a couple of reels but was just wondering about line size, hook size, favorite knots (not trying to start a war) for targeting specific species. I will mainly be targeting snapper, grouper, and amberjack with some trolling mixed in. I would also like to do some inshore/nearshore fishing for reds/tripletails/sheepies so my young niece and nephew can have something to catch (myself also). Here is what I am thinking about starting with.

Penn 750ssm on 7'MH rod (line size/braid or mono/hook size) mainly for amberjack or casting to cobia and other topwater fish. (If it is not possible to do both of these types of fishing with this setup. let me know. Again, I'm new to setting up)

This will make a great snapper rod as well so dont over look it, most actually prefer a spinning reel over a conventional for snapper. It alows for faster retrives and more sensitivity. You can also use it to drift a cigar minnow for kings with it while anchored up bottom fishing.

Shimano TLD25 on 5'-6" of 6'-0" boat rod (line size/braid or mono/hook size) for snapper/grouper/amberjack and most of my trolling.

Probably the best all around rod and reel to have on a boat. One of the most used ones as well. I wouldnt worry so much about braid with them and i would use some 30-40lb mono on them. If your trolling you will need the mono's streachability(think shock absorber). Braid will work with a topshot, but stick to the simpler stuff thats been proven for years first.

Been trying to buy a couple Penn 4/0's on eBay but keep losing them at the last minute

I hardly ever win an auction on Ebay, but most of my gear is bought used from Forums like this one. You just need to be patient and keep some cash handy for when they become available.

How about a decent lighter setup for the inshore/nearshore? Maybe something to catch some hardtails before heading out????

I have a penn 460 slammer and a penn rod, it works for both inshore and bait duties.

Any other essentials I would need for the boat, chime in. (i.e. gaffs, sinkers, anything....)

My most used gaff is a 6ft with a 2-3 inch hook, dont fall into needing a 5 or 6 inch hook, youll hardly ever need it. I generally carry a spare anchor too, there is a diver selling some here that will save you some money. I have them rigged to break away too, that seems to help alot to keep from losing them. Sinkers, i generally use 4-8oz sizes the most. Shop around theres some good deals on them online. Im getting them for @ 1.90 a lb.
Also make sure you have all your CG required Items. I put all of mine in a waterproof Orange tool box that way its easy to see, you grab everything at once and it would float if needed.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
If you have some more specific questions ask away

d-a
d-a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Sounds like you have a pretty good start to your tackle. I'm not really a fan of braid at all, just use it when bridge fishing to get the fish away from structure or fishing in 300 plus feet to get the line down/ feel bites. I have all the reels you do and have 20# mono on my 750 for kings/cobia and have a 850 with 40 pound mono for jigging snapper and ajs. My 25 tlds have 40# mono and like d-a said great all around reel for the price. As far as bottom fishing goes 4/0 and 6/0 with 80# mono do the trick. . I fish a 360 slammer (10# mono) and a penn 430 ssg. I use the slammer for live bait and the 430 with nothing more than 15# braid or 8 pound mono for throwing lures. As far as tackle goes some things I always have on my boat are a good pair of titanium pliers, a cuttingboard, some good artificials and you can never have enough sabikis.

Last edited by bigrick; 03-06-2011 at 06:48 PM.
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
White Marlin

all I can say is a 20-24' boat is not an OFF shore boat, maybe in fair weather and flat seas you can get out, but makes a great bay boat!Good luck!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Super Moderator
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankwT View Post
all I can say is a 20-24' boat is not an OFF shore boat, maybe in fair weather and flat seas you can get out, but makes a great bay boat!Good luck!
What constitutes an OFF shore boat to you then.....just curious...
Downtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
White Marlin

Depends on the boat and design, but at least 28'. I will go out with little action in a small boat, but off shore in a 20' boat and seas come up to 3-5' and you are in a rodeo. New boaters, thinking an off shore boat is a 20' craft, I get worried. Just a friendy caution to him is all. I am sure many of you are braver than I am...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
d-a
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankwT View Post
Depends on the boat and design, but at least 28'. I will go out with little action in a small boat, but off shore in a 20' boat and seas come up to 3-5' and you are in a rodeo. New boaters, thinking an off shore boat is a 20' craft, I get worried. Just a friendy caution to him is all. I am sure many of you are braver than I am...
Ive seen many of 21-24ft boats out at the floaters. Like everything else in life, if you have planned it well and are prepared for it, It will be fine. I dont think The OP is destined for a 60 mile run, but theres plenty of fishing opertunitys within the 10-30 mile range

d-a
d-a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I agree with FRANKwT it will be rough if you get caught in a storm in a 20 footer. We have a 26 cc and sometime i would like to have a 28-32 foot boat. You can find some good deals on a 28 foot used boat if you look around.
Bonehead-GA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I guess I should have precluded my post with the fact that my pockets may not be as deep as others.....if any of you have leads on a 28' boat (reliable) for under $20K by all means let me know. I am just getting started in this and buying all of my stuff from scratch. So between rods/reels, tackle, insurance, fuel @ $10/gal, I just can't get a "big" boat to play with the big boys. Like d-a says, 20-24's do it all the time, hell I'm on them sometimes with friends. Just looking for some advice on fishing setups really, not trying to get in a pissing contest about the size of my boat.
cowboyup_iii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in