First cobia, 6/13 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Grouper

Default First cobia, 6/13

I decided to head out in the morning thinking my three boys and I would get quick snapper limits and be home around lunch time. Wrong. We got to the first spot and the bite was on fire. Problem was that they were stealing my bait without getting hooked. I tried longer leaders and a few different hooks and still got the same results. Even so, we managed to pull four snapper in under and hour. Then the bite just about stopped. I worked that spot for an hour without bringing up another fish. I tried out a few more spots in the area and decided to make a move. On the way to the next area I ran over something that looked big on the FF even moving at 20 knots so I turned around and followed my track back and sure enough, it was a pretty big wreck that I didn't have numbers for.

We fed a bunch more baits to the snapper there and only brought in one more along with a yellow jack. The wind was picking up making the drift way too fast so I tried to anchor. On the second try I got to what should have been a good spot just up current of the wreck and started chumming. Nothing. After giving it some time I pulled anchor and continued on to the other area.

The structure I wanted to work is small, but it has held a lot of fish in the past and this was no different. I thought my luck was changing because I was now hooking fish, but they were coming off. I even got what would have been the biggest one of the day about 10 feet from the boat only to have the hook pull. Finally I get ahold of what feels like a really nice fish.

I soon decided that this wasn't a snapper. This fish kept fighting and running so I figured I had a shark or maybe an AJ. I got him close to the boat and realized I had my first cobia on the line. That is when it got interesting. He wasn't huge so I called for a net and my 6-year-old handed it to me but before I could scoop him up he took off on another run. I got him back boatside and tried to net him but he wasn't done. He didn't bother trying to escape the net, he just took off straight through the bottom. Now I've got the rod in one hand and the net in the other with the line going through the bottom. I put the rod tip through the hole in the bottom of the net but I was afraid that if I tried to feed the whole rod through I would tangle the net on the reel handle and be in even worse shape. I just let the net hang a foot or so above the reel and went on fighting the fish and called for the gaff. I got the fish boatside again and with the rod in one hand and the gaff in the other I tried to remove the rubber thing from the gaff point with my teeth. Before I could do that, the cobia took off again. I got the rubber thing off and brought fish up again. Finally I got the gaff in him and brought him onboard at which point he went ape shit. The hook came out and was now resting on my big toe with the point just barely poking me. I drop the gaff to get the hook off my tow before it sets in but the fish was flopped right towards my legs. Not wanting to get raked with his spines I grabbed the gaff and pushed him away from me. I got the hook off my toe before any damage was done and was finally able to take a breath. Although this wasn't a huge fish, it was exciting as hell and it would have made a great video if I had the camera.

We brought in one more snapper before running out of live bait. For some reason there was about a 7 inch blue runner in my box of frozen cigar minnows so I put that on. Before long I had another good fish on. I though it was going to be a really nice snapper, but no. It was about a 15 pound gag. Sadly, shortly after swimming away from the boat he popped back up to the surface and flipper grabbed him and swam away. It was time to work me way back home so I went back to my new found wreck and dropped down a squid. I quickly pulled back up an undersized snapper. This gave me some hope of rounding out our limit but the next fish I caught was about a 34 inch AJ. I looked up and my 8-year-old was heaving over the rail so it was time to head home.

All in all it was a good but long day. The boys don't want to go back out today so we'll have to wait for the next weather window.

Last edited by Trophyhusband; 07-14-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Trophyhusband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Snapper

Sounds like y'all had a great time. I'm looking forward to times like that with my son... Report to follow, in about 7-8 years. Out of curiosity, was it sometime around 10:15 when the bite stopped?

Last edited by Prince Caspian; 06-14-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Prince Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
26' blue sea hunt
Snapper

Man it sounds like our days were very similar yesterday. Congrats on your first cobia! Yesterday was the first cobia to be landed on my boat also. Went a little smoother only because one guy fought it and I gaffed it. but he was pissed when he hit my boat floor which only added to my excitement of a cobia! We had a pretty good day. bait was HARD to come by. Even the baitman had a list and was not knocking people off it. so we caught all ours and ran out deep. The bite was on and we limited out on red snapper. Caught a bunch of bonitos, a shark, some other just fun fighting fish. But man it turned rough by noon out there and made the ride home not so fun. I was sure glad to bust that inlet open coming home!!!!

I love the pic. Your boy has some strong arm muscles to hold that cobia out and up like that. lol
Salty Daze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
26' blue sea hunt
Snapper

do you stay on a particular channel out there on the vhf
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
26' blue sea hunt
Snapper

Default here is our catch

you can see the cobia hiding below the endangered species.
Attached Thumbnails
First cobia, 6/13-sam_2480-jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Caspian View Post
Sounds like y'all had a great time. I'm looking forward to times like that with my son... Report to follow, in about 7-8 years. Out of curiosity, was it sometime around 10:15 when the bite stopped?
It was a little later than that, we didn't get a line in the water until 10. It was probably around 11:30.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnmendy View Post
do you stay on a particular channel out there on the vhf
Congrats on your first cobia!

I monitor 16, 68, 69, and 71. I might cut 71 out of that though, lots of chatter from charter captains.

I bought bait yesterday. With the kids it's best not to spend the time catching bait. When I go without the kids I prefer to catch squirrel fish and other small bottom fish for bait rather than cigs and herring. It takes a little longer and I don't get as many, but my hookup ratio is better and the fish are bigger.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
26' blue sea hunt
Snapper

I am on the same channels except 71. Get tired of hearing all that stuff. I wish you would have had a camera on board. The fish net story was funny. We have all been there though with chaos like that. If someone says other wise they are lying. see ya out there.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Snapper

I believe you aptly described how cobia act when the hit the deck!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
Grouper

Right after he shot through the net I remembered reading somewhere that you shouldn't try to bring one over the rail while it's still green. By the time I got him on deck I was thinking 'surely he can still be green because I'm not and he isn't a very big fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in