Finding deep water fishing spots - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Finding deep water fishing spots

I know where a few big areas such as the Elbo, Nipple, Spur etc are but I have seen numerous area discussed on the forum that I cannot locate. How do you find good drop offs, ledges etc without a detailed chart of the bottom. The chart
I have only gives general areas without enough detail. Diesel is just to expensive to just look for them, where can a get charts with significant bottom detail? I am out of Orange Beach. Looking for good trolling and dep drop spots.
SKIPJACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Basically you have got to just troll around areas you know have decent bottom (edge, yellow gravel, etc.) and watch your bottom machine. Even detailed charts aren't precise enough to get you over a specific ledge or rock. Also do a search of this site some numbers have been posted in the past
jordars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Super Moderator
Blue Marlin

Also, just for kicks, try keeping a digital camera on your console. You run over something, take a pic of the screen. Depending what display you have, it will show lat/lon, structure, depth and not clutter your machine with MOB's that you can't remember why you poked em' in. Example... I ran across this a while back headed back in from trolling. May never fish it. But, it's an example. You see an awful lot stuff puttin' out for an overnighter. Deeper stuff too, naturally.
Attached Thumbnails
Finding deep water fishing spots-picture-059-jpg  

Last edited by Downtime2; 07-02-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Downtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
White Marlin

camera is a good idea for those of us that are not organized enough to go back and label all the MOBs thks for the idea I know a guy that uses google earth to find general areas. looking for changes in the depth
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

If your not willing to put in the fuel cost of finding things like everyone else has had to do then don't go at all.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordars View Post
Basically you have got to just troll around areas you know have decent bottom (edge, yellow gravel, etc.) and watch your bottom machine. Even detailed charts aren't precise enough to get you over a specific ledge or rock. Also do a search of this site some numbers have been posted in the past
what he said. drag some lures and scan the bottom. you might even catch a few while you're looking. you need a good bottom machine/transducer first.
Xpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPJACK View Post
I know where a few big areas such as the Elbo, Nipple, Spur etc are but I have seen numerous area discussed on the forum that I cannot locate. How do you find good drop offs, ledges etc without a detailed chart of the bottom. The chart
I have only gives general areas without enough detail. Diesel is just to expensive to just look for them, where can a get charts with significant bottom detail? I am out of Orange Beach. Looking for good trolling and dep drop spots.
I was in a similar situation. If you use the search function, you may be able to find coordinates for what you are looking for. I printed out pages 8 and 9 of chart 11006 which covers everything you would be interested. Then, I highlighted the 50 through 500 fathom curves in different colors. This will show the dropoffs and give you an idea where to go. Before installing my machine in the boat, I entered the public numbers available (posted here also), a set of numbers that have been posted with a recommended trolling route around the nipple area. Another option is to check on an OB tackle shop, don't remember the details where they have someone with I have heard a ton of good public and maybe other numbers that for $50 will load on a chip to put in your machine.

There is plenty out there (I hope) to get you in the ball park without burnng a lot of diesel as recommended on what could be a wild goose chase.

I am basically in the "same boat" the main difference being I have what I'd consider marginal fuel capacity so burning fuel looking for "high probabilty" areas is something I'd prefer not to do.

Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable (helpful) posters will get in touch with you to help you along.

The Navionics Platinum + card shows some nice detail and if you run across a report with a place you don't recognize, you might send a pm to the poster. I've gotten some good advice on lures, techniques and locations by going direct.

Last edited by GWally; 07-02-2013 at 12:41 PM.
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Snapper

Duplicate

Last edited by GWally; 07-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the help will be out on the edge soon as weather permits
SKIPJACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in